Want to deep clean sand filter but don't know how to disconnect pipes

Did you order a test kit yet?

If that CYA is right, you are at the upper end of the recommended range and every tablet you use will raise it higher. If you try to go that route, I guarantee you will be back by August with a green pool.

With adequate FC, which is a function of CYA, there is never a need to use "shock".

Have you read Pool School?

I did read it, thanks. I'm more worried right now about the water shooting out my pump basket but will look into other chlorine options. Honestly, I don't want to haul heavy bottles of bleach from the store every week and out to the pool all the time. I'm not generally lazy and I'm strong enough, but that sounds like a total pain. I can haul those buckets of tablets a few times a season and leave them next to the feeder and fill it every couple of weeks. It's very handy. But obviously if it's going to make more trouble on this end every year I should find another way. Or I could fill the bloody thing in and grow tomatoes. And I don't even like tomatoes. Thanks again.

Question: If I do decide to dump the feeder, how do I close up the holes in the pvc where the lines are attached?

Last edited:
I don't know how the hoses attach, but either a plug or cut out the pipe and replace it. . It is fine to keep the system, but you can not use it all the time.

Like i said before, my old pump always squirted out by the lid when I shut the pump off and it was never a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.