Rockwall Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Been using Great Value bleach for a few weeks now with no issues. Couple of questions about that particular bleach:
1). Just noticed that there is a small thing on the label that says “with fabric protection”—is that an issue?
2). Says it has 7.5% sodium hypochlorite, but it also says yields a 7.1% available chlorine. Assuming the bleach is ok to continue using, which number do you use in Pool Math?

Thanks
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 11
We do not recommend using bleach with 'fabric protection'. They contain a form of polymer that will leave residues behind and possibly cause foaming.

Use the 7.5% sodium hypochlorite levels for Poolmath. The 'available' chlorine number can be ignored.

Reactions: proavia
In a pinch, get 'disinfectant bleach' on the cleaning aisle. It's usually free of all the additives (listed on the label) and 6%.

Scud - Most/all Walmarts in our area should have the Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid (white jug with the outdoor stuff and other pool chemicals). That is usually a bit cheaper, stronger, and you do not have to worry about additives that they might add for fabric.

It can get pushed aside for Christmas stuff, and some stores to not restock it until the spring, but you can usually still find it over the winter. I would give that a shot if you have not done so already.

Reactions: Newdude
Almost all consumer laundry bleach nowadays has “fabric protection technology” chemicals in it. It’s a bleach formulation that was patented by Clorox corporation and then licensed for general use. Bleach is a commercially manufactured product and there are only three major manufacturers/suppliers in North America. KIK Technologies ( Canadian) is one of them and I believe they manufacture more than half of the bleach sold in the US and Canada. They are directly contracted by Clorox and other corporations to make their bleach products. They put the additives into the bleach products and Clorox gets a little piece of the pie for every gallon shipped. Since it’s more expensive to have multiple formulations of the same product, I’m sure the manufacturers basically forced every other retailer to use the “fabric protection” stuff or pay a premium for a special product without it. From the point of view of Walmarts and Targets, who cares what’s in the formulation as long as they can move the product and make their buck on it.

Long story short - don’t use laundry bleach in your pool.

Thanks! I’ll try the pool essential chlorine if I can find it. Saw some at Lowe’s, but it’s stored outside. Btw, how do tell the manufacturing date?

For easy cellphone maths, take the # and divide it by 30. So. The date code is 23197. 23 is 2023 and the day it was produced was day 197. Divide by 30 and it's 6.56 months, so a little over halfway in July.

If we Google the Julian calander, day 197 is July 17th, which in this case is dead on with guestimating by dividing by 30, but even if it's off, it won't be more than 5 days which is way close enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought some of this Fabric bleach not knowing it was different. Foamed when I poured it in and that caught my attention. So frustrating.

I am done with Walmart. I use distilled water in my office sterilizer. I bought distilled water from Walmart and my sterilizer started throwing codes about water purity. In very small print the DISTILLED water had added minerals. It isnt distilled if it has minerals!!! What the heck is going on in this world?