Walmart Bleach - now includes “fragrance” - are they on to us?

Household6

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just saw on the Walmart website that the less-expensive ($1.77 for 128 oz) green-label Walmart “cleaning” bleach now states it has a “non-hazardous fragrance.”

The blue-label Walmart bleach is $2.22 for 121 oz. That’s $.45 more for 7 oz LESS.

A bit conspiracy-theory minded, but I wonder if WalMart has discovered our use and did this intentionally?

Attachments

• 00D419F6-3D0E-4094-A7C7-89C3CD8A20EF.jpg
    00D419F6-3D0E-4094-A7C7-89C3CD8A20EF.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 65E13A16-D7DC-447D-8BF7-77C45F94F521.jpg
    65E13A16-D7DC-447D-8BF7-77C45F94F521.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 178
Walmart doesn't make their own bleach. They buy it from a major manufacturer under a licensing agreement to slap the Walmart label on it. You will probably start to see this on most store brand bleach as there are not many companies that make bleach for retail sale. I would think bleach manufacturers would be thrilled that we TFP'ers buy so much bleach every season! If they were smart they would be pushing the sale of bleach for use in pools instead of slapping their name on lousy granules.

Walmart doesn't make their own bleach. They buy it from a major manufacturer under a licensing agreement to slap the Walmart label on it. You will probably start to see this on most store brand bleach as there are not many companies that make bleach for retail sale. I would think bleach manufacturers would be thrilled that we TFP'ers buy so much bleach every season! If they were smart they would be pushing the sale of bleach for use in pools instead of slapping their name on lousy granules.

True, but they decide the price and marketing for themselves. If they were really smart, they’d keep the 10% chlorine in stock year-around so we could depend on it (add’l purchases by TFP’ers would surely increase their buying power).

I'll check at my local Walmart, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's all the same product and they are just putting different labels on it to make us think it's different in some way.

I bought some of each today. Nothing on the label (of either) refers to a scent or fragrance. But there has to be a reason they put such in the online description. Right?

Would be nice if we could identify a few companies (Chlorox most important) and write a letter (from TFP admin folks) to ask them to maintain producing their unfragranced high percentage chlorine noting that maintenance of pools by residential pool owners is a quickly growing trend demonstrated by this forum. Chlorox Company is their own chemical company so likely they make liquid chlorine under many names.
Clorox - Wikipedia

Clorox wants you to buy their trichlor pucks. Greater profit margin. They will tell you their liquid bleach is not for pools. Which is true when they add all the stuff to it.

Just purchased 10% hypochlorite from Lowe's (KemTec brand). Comes in pack of 3 gallons with pool chemicals. Don't recall pricing.

Be sure to check the date on the box. It normally is a Julian date. Starts with 18XXX. The XXX is number of days into the year 2018. Best to never buy any older than 30-45 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.