Waiting For The Water to Clear

bobwatson

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Hey, Thank you so much for all the info and guidance. So very helpful for us first timers.

We started to slam last Thursday, 6/15.
Current conditions: water is cloudy blue/white.
Test results this morning, 6/21:
0700 FC 8, CC 1, TA 150, CYA 47, pH 7.3, added 250 oz bleach per pool math calculater
1015 FC 14, no addition jbleach required.

Backwashed filter yesterday, then again this morning after 25% rise in pressure at the filter. Added DE this morning, but it hasn't increased pump pressure, so more DE? How often, if more than once during the slam, can you add DE?

Questions: Should we be treating for borate, which we have not been treating during the slam?

Thanks

My understanding on the DE is that it goes out with the backwash. IF that is the case then you would need to replace it after each backwash. I ordered Fiber-Clear and it will be arriving today from Amazon. Reading the instructions on it is that I should add 1/4 cups and wait a couple minutes to add more checking my PSI between UNTIL my pressure increases 1psi.

Going to hear that CYA levels should be rounded up, so in your case round up to 50 CYA and keep your chlorine at the appropriate shock level until the water is clear and until you pass the OCLT.

Hope that helps and I would search for DE on the forums, someone will be along that has more experience than I.

When you backwash, all the DE gets flushed out. So you need to add it again if you choose to go the DE route.

Don't confuse things. SLAM and SLAM only until you finish it and pass all three tests. For starters, the pH reading gets messed up with high FC, so how do you know how much to add? And why add Borates and then backwash again in a day or two and lose a bunch of it? Funandsun is correct -- call it 50 CYA and SLAM at 20 FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.