Waiting for spring

Aug 3, 2018
Elkton MD
I have to wait until spring to have my pool finished. The contract was signed on 6/23/18. The hole was dug on 8/1/18 and steel was done on 8/2/18. Gunite was done on 8/24/18, and tile was done on 9/21/18. Fence was done on 10/29/18. All that is left is plaster. They wanted to do it Nov. 9th. I told them I want to wait until spring. I am glad I did, the weather has been cold and nasty here in Maryland. At least now I have some time to decide if I want to upgrade from regular plaster to ansylbrite. I'll have some time to save some money. They want about $6000 for the upgrade. I don't know if it is worth it. I have attached a couple pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN9569.jpg
    DSCN9569.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 109
Wet Edge Cost

So this post from a while back helped me reality check my bids for our pool. It does a good job breaking down the price differentials and you can look to see what you are paying the extra money for on the pictures / samples on wet edge’s website.

We ended up going with a selection from Pebble 3 called “southern lights.” Obviously our pricing was scaled up for pool size but the % differences were pretty accurate on this post versus what we saw. It gave us a good sanity check when we had no frame of reference.

So if your GC is taking a typical 35%-40% margin, plain white plaster would run you $6k. If you did like us and picked a level 3 pebble (or it’s brand equivalent), your price after builder margin would be $12k - so (assuming your pool is the same size as this poster) the $6k upgrade price would make sense.

And if it seems expensive, it’s likely just a factor of regional pricing. We are the exact opposite of sunbelt areas. Low volume, high price. It’s Anthony Sylvan’s house brand pebble.

And good call waiting. Late April or early May would be ideal. Time to get things awaited away before late May swim season starting. That worked out in your favor despite the likely disappointment.

I saw one pool with colbalt color. It was a smaller size pool 15X32. The water was a little dark, but that's what the owner wanted. He said it helps warm the water. If I was to go with Ansylbrite, I would probably go with Sapphire color. I might just go with the white plaster for now and then go to a different finish when it is time to re-plaster. I won't have to choose from the limited Ansylbrite colors.

A lot of folks love the silky smooth feel of simple well done plaster. You may find you like it just fine on its own, it does take on a really pretty shade of blue usually.

I personally find a lot of the pebble finishes hard on the feet.

Maddie :flower:

If you don't mind the random or splotchy or mottled look, get the colored plaster. Totally smooth, but with color. That's what we did at no upcharge from white. They used a few bags of Diamond Brite Onyx in the mix. We love the color variability, overall color and overall appearance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.