Wait to test/balance during week long rain storm?

tralston

Sep 23, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Fall-time here in Northern California means lots of rain. So far, it's been raining all weekend (several inches gained). The pool is full, but we have a drainage channel/grate built into our concrete along the pool, so I'm not worried about bringing the level down yet. We also have a drain hole at a certain level, but it can't keep up with the rain at this point.

So it's been raining for two days straight. The forecast calls for rain all week, all day long. If I do any testing / balancing, it will pretty much be immediately negated as more rain is coming in. Should I wait until the weather stops dumping water in my uncovered pool to resume testing and treating? Or should I do it once every few days knowing the test results will be invalid anyway?

The only thing I would add to your pool and mix in good is liquid chlorine. All that rain is going to do a number on your chem levels if you're just draining them away, but at least a bit of chlorine might help you avoid algae. Test and fix the water after the monsoon is over.

You can find liquid chlorine at Lowes and HD usually.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Newdude
You do not want the water to get over the top of the water line tile. Doing so could allow the water to get under the coping and wash out the dirt in that area. I would get a submersible pump for times like this.

Chemicals-Maddie is spot on......keep the FC up to keep any algae at bay!

Kim:kim:

+2. You know what your daily consumption was. Dose it from memory as if you go a bit high, it’s totally safe all the way up to Slam level. If it’s well mixed, 6 inches of rain will only dilute you about 10% and be unnoticeable. If several inches of untreated rain water sits there festering waiting 16 hours for the next pump cycle, you end up mixing tainted water when it does mix and then lose a bunch of reserve FC.

Hi. Going through first big storm as well. Rain has stopped and should be clear for a week. Pool overflow held really well and no draining needed. Deck drains worked great and covered patio remained dry. I quickly tested FC before storm and it was 9. Added a bag of salt prior (because dog tore open a bag) since Taylor test had been reading 2600 though swg says 3000.

Off subject one dog loves to swim. Already swam today. Jumped in during the storm last night (and previous rainy night too) but we made her exit the pool. Trying to figure if she will be able to swim during the winter.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.