VSP not priming issue

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all and hope everyone is safe,

When my VSP came on yesterday morning, I could see the vol of waterflow over the spa spillover was not correct. Went to the equipment pad and noticed the VSP was pulling about 50% of the normal water at first, then dropped to about 20-30% over 30-45 seconds. I turned her off. This has happened about 4-5 times in 5 yrs, so not frequently. On all occasions, the water level was always above both skimmer intakes to achieve good water flow....

Previously, either one of the 2 skimmer weir doors was stuck, or an immediate shoving of hose into one the skimmer intake lines fixed it. This time, no skimmer doors were stuck and shoving hose multiple times did not work, plus I was also priming pump w another hose. I also checked the filter for an airlock and water immediately came out of the pressure relief value.

Not sure what fixed it, but running a hose at full blast in one skimmer return line and also the same in the pump basket, it finally primed and returned to normal. When turning on the VSP in all prior and yesterday instances, the pump was in prime mode so 3150 RPM...just trying to determine if there is anything I can do to prevent this or it is just the nature of the beast? Everything is running fine now....

Thank you very much !

Have you looked inside the skimmer when this happens? Is there a vortex?

If it is just occasionally, lowering the priming RPM should fix it.

Thanks Mark.

When it was trying to prime and could not, I was always at the pump site. I would turn off the pump, then go to the skimmers and insert the hose and turn on fully. Just to make sure it was not the skimmers, I laid a lg rock on the weir door to insure water flow was not inhibited.

Just to understand the logic, if there's a partial airlock in one of the suction lines, does a lower RPM speed more readily remove the air?

Finally, the next time it happens, I will go to each skimmer and see if there's a vortex / thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.