Costa Rica
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello folks. Has anybody check the accuracy of the flow numbers thrown by a VSF Pentair pump against readings on a flowmeter? I'm having some strange behaviors and I can only relay on those readings and I have no flowmeters to compare (and they are expensive as heck). Thank you

M,

There is almost no reason to ever worry about a specific "flow" number. What is it that makes you concerned about how accurate the flow number is.

The pump itself has no flow measuring device. It just uses amperage and RPM to calculate the "flow". I doubt it is all that accurate as there is just no reason it needs to be anything but in the ballpark.

What is it that you are trying to do?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. My cells and heathers are both flow dependant and I have quite a bit of head loss on my system as configured so even high RPM numbers end up giving low-ish flow numbers according to the pump. So I would like to figure out the minimum flow that will each need. Pentair tells you ideal numbers but it seem to me the actual numbers are quite lower.

M,

I guess my point was rather than adjusting the "flow" to be some magical GPM number, I suggest that you adjust the RPM, or flow, so that the cell or heater responds like you want.

As an example, here is how I set up my SWCG.. I adjust the RPM/Flow down until the SWCG turns on the low flow light. I then slowly turn the RPM/Flow up a little at a time, until the flow light turns green and then add 100 RPM to allow a little leeway for the filter getting dirty.

In my mind this matches the flow I need to what works for my specific pool and plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

From the way you describe it, It sounds like your plumbing circuit is the problem resulting in high resistance. It takes work and some thought but you may wish to reconfigure your plumbing. Too often unnecessarily high resistance in a plumbing circuit has a plumbing solution that is ignored and addressed by "looks like you need a bigger pump". what kind of pressure are you seeing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.