VS Pump programming

Well as I found out you really need to add a FlowVis to your setup so you can measure GPM as quite a few things rely on a specific or minimum flow rate.

I have my low speed set to 1100 rpm which gives me just enough flow rate to allow the SWG to work (the Flow switch inside it needs 15 GPM minimum). According to my Flowvis that gives me around 20 GPM. I let the system run all day long at this setting (from like 6am to 10pm).

When my heater is in use I have my automatation system bump the VSP to 1725 RPM to give the heater the minimum 25 GPM it requires (mine is around 40 GPM).

You will find the “max” speed of the VSP (around 3200 rom) is CRAZY fast, it gave me flow well over 80 GPM (far too much). It also sucks power like mad. I adjusted mine down to 80 GPM maximum. At this point I almost never use High speed except to prime the pump if I ever drain the pipes (winter/summer).

Here are the numbers I wrote down when first testing it:

3450 rpm = 85-90 gpm = 2090 watts
3139 rpm = 80 gpm = 1575 watts
1725 rpm = 40 gpm = 286 watt
1345 rpm = 30 gpm = 161 watts
1100 rpm = 20 gpm = 106 watts

Here was the basic math I started with when I was running the pump for 8 hours with enough flow to keep the SWG happy:

120 watts on low at 13.2 cents on peak hydro rate for 8 hours = 0.96 KWh
0.96 KWh * 13.2 = 12.672 cents per day
28 days = $3.54 Canadian for the month if I left it on low.

Cheers
Tim

Ran,

Well, I somewhat disagree with Tim... While having a Flow meter is "Cool" and useful, it is not at all "needed".. so I would not go out and install one unless you just want one..

As Tim points out the two main things you want to know are at what speed does my SWCG turn on and at what speed does my heater turn on.. Since you have no SWCG, you only need to worry about the heater.

While having a flow meter makes the job a little quicker, to figure out what speed your heater will run is as simple as running at a low RPM, say 1000, and seeing if the heater works or reports low flow/pressure. If it does not work, increase the speed, in small increments, until it does, and then add 100 RPM and that will be the minimum speed needed to turn on the heater.

In my mind the main reason to have a VS pump is so that you can run slow to save on the old electrical bill... There is almost no reason to ever run at full speed.

Here are the main reason to run your pump...

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

All pools are a little different, so you will need to experiment to see what works best for you. I have a SWCG and personally like running my pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM, but we many other members that like to run their pumps for as short a period of time as they can. So there is really no one answer for everyone. Play with it, you can't hurt anything.. :p

One final note.. I see that you are using a 3" tab feeder... (Something that we do not recommend BTW) Tab feeders were designed to be run by single speed pumps with a lot of water flowing through them... If you run your VS pump at too low of an RPM, you may not get enough water through them to dissolve the tablets... Just something to keep in mind if your chlorine levels start to drop..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I run mine based on Watts used
If your system is working well and you have adequate Chlorine you dont need a ton of run time
I just replaced my SWG today so I plan to turn run time down soon. I had increased it to allow for lower production of the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.