Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Folks,

I've had VS pump envy too long. I'd like to go with a new full-blown Pentair Intelliflo model but I tried all Jim Rahbe's arguments for this and it hasn't worked with my wife. Looks like the only option for me is the Century V-Green 1.65 hp. I'll be replacing my 1 hp Jandy pump motor with the VS direct bolt on. I'd also like to have it set up so that it runs on "high" speed (about 2800 rpm) only when my solar bypass valve is closed and "low" speed whenever the solar is bypassed. I'm trying to use the digital inputs for this without resorting to relays. I think I figured out a way but it seems too simple. Here's the plan, can experts weigh in on this please?
  • The VS motor has a number of ways to control speed including 4 digital inputs called Step 1, Step 2... Step 4. They override all other control methods and they accept up to 30 vac or 15v DC.
  • Looks to me the valve actuator wire that opens and closes the valve has two 24 vac lines plus a common. The valve is opened and closed by connecting 24 vac to L1 or L2.
  • So I set Step 1 to be the higher and Step 2 to be the lower speed.
  • Then I just split the solar valve actuator to go to the VS digital input panel.
  • Connect L1 to Step 1 and L2 to Step 2 at the digital input.
  • Power the pump with a relay powering the pump on my Intellicenter (same way it's powered now). This relay also supplies the Circupool relay with line power as a protection from being powered with no flow.
This seems too easy, am I missing something?

Chris

Chris,

Seems like it would work to me... I am not sure if the pump will try to re-prime every time the speed changes.. :scratch:

You could also use the solar booster output (24 VDC) instead of the AC valve voltage..

What I do is set a minimum speed that I want my pump to run so that my SWCG comes on, plus 100 RPM.. anytime the pump runs, that is the initial speed that it uses.. Then I add on from there.. If I want it to run faster I just turn on the next speed (I do not turn off the initial speed) The pump will always use the highest speed. When I turn off the faster speed the pump just falls back to the lowest speed.. This prevents the pump from stopping and having to start again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chris,

Seems like it would work to me... I am not sure if the pump will try to re-prime every time the speed changes.. :scratch:

You could also use the solar booster output (24 VDC) instead of the AC valve voltage..

What I do is set a minimum speed that I want my pump to run so that my SWCG comes on, plus 100 RPM.. anytime the pump runs, that is the initial speed that it uses.. Then I add on from there.. If I want it to run faster I just turn on the next speed (I do not turn off the initial speed) The pump will always use the highest speed. When I turn off the faster speed the pump just falls back to the lowest speed.. This prevents the pump from stopping and having to start again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks much Jim. Looks like I have a few options. I might even go for an additional very low speed when solar and swg are off. Like the idea of leaving it on 24/7 to prolong life only issue with that to me is lightning. But I'm not sure being off protects me. Decisions, decisions...

Happy holidays and thanks for all the help!

Chris

Chris

I can't see any reason to run the pump if you are not making chlorine.. The amount of electrical savings by running a speed that is less than what turns on SWCG, is almost a rounding error on your electrical bill..

I run my pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time.. This turns on my SWCG and give me good skimming action.. Of course I do not have a heater. If I did, It would have an automated by pass so that I could take it out of the water's path the 99% of the time I would not be using the heater.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I currently run the pump 8 hours. SWG has recently been cut to 5 hours at 40% and I may need to cut it back another hour. FC started climbing as winter arrived and I'm still running 9-10 ppm. Seems like some people think it's better to run 24/7 for prolonged motor life with fewer starts and stops. I have no idea if this is correct but I'm inclined to let it stop each day. My recent bout with lightning got my attention and having it off 12 hr+ per day seems like a good lightning protection technique.

Chris

Chris,

I have been told that running the pump 24/7 is worse for the pump than letting it stop and start each day. I don't really care.. :mrgreen: I run it 24/7 for other reasons and I like how it works for me.. I try to not make it seem that I recommend it as a TFP approach to pool care. Most of the time I'm just trying to make the point that even if you do run a VS pump 24/7, the cost of electricity is still very little each month compared to a single speed pump running just 8 hours a day.

It your pool and you should run it however you want.. I just can't see the point of running the pump for 8 hours and the SWCG for 5 at 40%.. When you can just set the SWCG to less than 40% and run everything for 8 hours.. I just like a little chlorine all the time vs. a lot of chlorine in a shorter time period. But, again... if it works for you, it works for me..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Jim,

Thanks. Your actual experience and info about what works for you are the most valuable to me. I have actually been thinking to do just what you said since I'm gonna run out of hours to reduce pretty soon. During peak summer I ran it a lot more hours just to keep 5-6 ppm.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.