VS pool pump sizing

They are all VSF.

VSF means Variable Speed and Flow, which means that you can set the speed (RPM) or Flow (GPM).

The display will also show system pressure and watts (power).

Don't get a "SVRS" model.

That means Safety Vacuum Relief System, which is temperamental and unnecessary.

1657496535155.png

1657496601342.png

1657496640346.png

They are all VSF.

VSF means Variable Speed and Flow, which means that you can set the speed (RPM) or Flow (GPM).

The display will also show system pressure and watts (power).

Don't get a "SVRS" model.

That means Safety Vacuum Relief System, which is temperamental and unnecessary.

View attachment 434348

View attachment 434349

View attachment 434350

James,
I understand what you are saying now. Sorry I’m still learning quite a bit so I appreciate your patience. Thank you! Below is what I was looking at on there website.

A9F627C5-F814-4337-9145-5CA1E36AE1C6.jpeg

OK, I didn't know about the IntelliFlo3.

That's brand new.

You can see the performance of the XF vs. the IntelliFlo3.

I will need to look into the IntelliFlo3 to see what it is about.

It looks like it is based partly on the IntelliFloXF design.

I think that I would still recommend the XF vs. the 3 model.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1657506086498.png
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1657505004017.png

1657506139110.png
1657506254376.png

That's brand new.

View attachment 434437

View attachment 434426

View attachment 434438
View attachment 434439
I’m having trouble finding a place that has the XF in stock.

That's brand new.

View attachment 434437

View attachment 434426

View attachment 434438
View attachment 434439
James,
Would the pentair i2 be a good option? I can’t find any other models in stock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would get the regular Intelliflo.
Well I ended up finding the only pump around that I could get in the next week or so. Everything else was a minimum of 8 weeks out. I need one before then. I ended up getting the pentair intelliflo VSF 011056. Hopefully it’s ok. I’m somewhat nervous that it is 3.95hp with my 1 1/2” lines…. I need to figure out how to calculate head of pipe and then see how many RPMs I can run. Do I need to worry about anything when I turn it on initially so I don’t blow the pipes apart?

Well I ended up finding the only pump around that I could get in the next week or so. Everything else was a minimum of 8 weeks out. I need one before then. I ended up getting the pentair intelliflo VSF 011056. Hopefully it’s ok. I’m somewhat nervous that it is 3.95hp with my 1 1/2” lines…. I need to figure out how to calculate head of pipe and then see how many RPMs I can run. Do I need to worry about anything when I turn it on initially so I don’t blow the pipes apart?
I was in the same shape a few months ago and ended up with a VS 011028. There's a menu option to set a "global maximum speed" and - in your case - also a "maximum flow" that's meant to prevent overpowering your plumbing. Check out the manual. I set mine by installing a flow gauge before swapping out the old 1-speed pump and then setting the maximum to stay under that value (which was over 100 gpm!). 3100 rpm did it. I'm sure that was overkill, but I had no experience so it felt good to be sure I wasn't going to blow something up.

Last edited:
I’m somewhat nervous that it is 3.95hp with my 1 1/2” lines…. I need to figure out how to calculate head of pipe and then see how many RPMs I can run. Do I need to worry about anything when I turn it on initially so I don’t blow the pipes apart?

Vince,

That is just a load of bull feathers... Just not going to happen. :mrgreen:

You have nothing to worry about and don't have to "calculate" anything.

If it makes you feel better, you can set the max prime speed to 2800 or 3000.

That is an outstanding pump.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was in the same shape a few months ago and ended up with a VS 011028. There's a menu option to set a "global maximum speed" and - in your case - also a "maximum flow" that's meant to prevent overpowering your plumbing. Check out the manual. I set mine by installing a flow gauge before swapping out the old 1-speed pump and then setting the maximum to stay under value (which was over 100 gpm!).
Thanks for the response! This is for a brand new install so will I still need the flow gauge? What size of pipe do you have?

Vince,

Why do you think that you would ever need a flow gauge???

Some want a flow gauge, but no one needs a flow gauge.

I always suggest that you set up your VSF pump as a VS pump to begin with. Run it that way for a season and you will find that you will never need the VF function. If I'm wrong, you can always set it up later.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Vince,

That is just a load of bull feathers... Just not going to happen. :mrgreen:

You have nothing to worry about and don't have to "calculate" anything.

If it makes you feel better, you can set the max prime speed to 2800 or 3000.

That is an outstanding pump.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim I appreciate all of your help and how with your vast knowledge, you are able to relate your words to my new pool owner language. Thanks for helping to ease my mind. Thanks again!

Vince,

In this case my "vast" knowledge comes from owning two rent house pools with 1.5" plumbing and 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps. :mrgreen:

I would not recommend running at 3450 as a normal operating speed, but it won't damage anything for the short period of time it should take to prime the pump. I keep saying that I should set my max prime speed to 2800 but have been lazy and have yet to do it. Not a real issue as my pumps run 24/7 so they only prime after some kind of maintenance or power failure. One of the pumps is over 10 years old and the other is about 8 years old.

Maybe one day I'll get around to it.. ;)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
Vince,

In this case my "vast" knowledge comes from owning two rent house pools with 1.5" plumbing and 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps. :mrgreen:

I would not recommend running at 3450 as a normal operating speed, but it won't damage anything for the short period of time it should take to prime the pump. I keep saying that I should set my max prime speed to 2800 but have been lazy and have yet to do it. Not a real issue as my pumps run 24/7 so they only prime after some kind of maintenance or power failure. One of the pumps is over 10 years old and the other is about 8 years old.

Maybe one day I'll get around to it.. ;)

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
I have read several of your posts on various threads. You have helped literally thousands of people.
Also, I too plan on running mine 24/7. I think we will have around 30,000 gallons, so hoping running at a low speed all the time generates chlorine all the time and turns the pool water over once a day. Through your recommendation I will be installing a 520 sq ft pentair cartridge filter with the 4 bundle filter system. This pool will operate May to October at the latest. Hopefully won’t have to clean it very often.

Set Maximum Speed (RPM)

The maximum speed can be set from 1900 RPM to 3450 RPM (default is 3450).

Use this setting to set the maximum running speed of the IntelliFlo® VSF Variable Speed and Flow Pump.

Note: Maximum and minimum speed settings, and the associated alarms, remain active when in Flow mode.

1. Check that the green power LED is on.

2. Press Menu.

3. Press Select to select “Settings”.

4. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Min/Max”.

Press Select.

5. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Set Max Spd”.

6. Press Select to change. The cursor will appear in the first number column (ones).

7. Press Up or Down arrows to edit the maximum speed setting from 1900 to 3450 RPM.

8. Press Save to save. Press Back to exit. To cancel, press the Back to exit without saving.

To Set Maximum System Pressure:

1. Check that the green power LED is on.

2. Press Menu.

3. Press Select to select “Settings”.

4. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Min/Max”.

Press Select.

5. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Set Maximum Pressure”.

6. Press Select to change the setting. The cursor will appear in the first number column (ones).

7. Press the Up or Down arrows to edit the maximum flow rate setting from 1 to 50 PSI.

8. Press Save to save. To cancel, press Back to exit edit mode without saving.

9. Press Back to exit.

I would just disable priming and set the maximum speed to 2,450 RPM at the very beginning.

Setting Priming Features

1. Press Menu.

2. Use Down arrow to scroll to “Priming” and press Select.

3. The factory default is set to priming “Enabled“.

To disable, scroll to "Disabled" and press Select.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.