VS motor buying options.

Nov 22, 2020
Leander Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have a single speed pool pump, it's a very loud and fairly old 2.25 HP Max-e-glas. It likely has had at least 3 motors on it, the last I replaced myself. My plumbing is all 2" except my cleaner pipe, that's 1.5" and the pool is very large.

So I am looking to replace it with a VS motor or motor pump combo and also run some automation.

So If I keep my Max e glas I won't have to rework the pump connections so that's a plus but I will need to upgrade the impeller for about $50, no biggie.

The two VS motor options I have

Century V-Green 2.7hp with a square flange adapter at about $650 with an automation adapter for an additional $180 so about $880 for 2.7hp (not interested in cloud control option)

OR

Affinity AVSS3, no flange adapter needed 3hp pump for about $560 with EZ-COMM automation adapter at $130 so $740 for 3HP

The features and capability seems to be almost exactly the same between these two motors. 4 speeds, rs-485, freeze protection etc.

There is MUCH more info about the V-Green than the Affinity with the research I have done. So I am inclined to go with the V-Green HOWEVER, I also have a 3/4hp booster pump to run my polaris 280 cleaner. If it's possible to pull the booster pump out of the mix and use the Affinity 3HP pump alone to do everything then I am inclined to do that.

Last option, quit screwing around and just buy a new 3HP pentair or hayward for 1200-1400 and has 8 speeds plus well known automation.

Help me pull the trigger on what to buy.

Last edited:
What automation controls do you have on your pool or are planning for?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. Having a full understanding of your pool setip lets us better answer your questions.

Reactions: Griff Griffinson
My automation will be custom, I build my own. Ultimately before summer I intend to install a Hotspot FPH on my 2 AC units to dump heat into the pool, everything will work on 24v but my automation uses microcontrollers attached to relays I program.

One flow rate will be low all day cleaning, a slightly higher flow will activate when my AC units kick on, then a higher speed for swimming or cleaning robot and the highest flow rate will be for massage jets and filter cleaning. I will also use actuators for the jets. That's my thought for now, I might do calculated speeds based on the number of devices in use and have my controller pick a flow value based on that, but that's probably not what I will do initially.

Last edited:
I think you get a better DIY automation interface from the VGreen or Affinity then from a Pentair VS or Hayward.

I also looked into a variable speed replacement motor. The "automation" adapter is just a communications interface between the pump and an automation system. I believe that for the Century unit the only supported system is Pentair. The motor it self comes with several digital inputs, which can be connected to relays to trigger different speeds.

Another DIY alternative is to purchase a three phase replacement motor and drive it with a small commercial VFD. Probably less expensive than a variable speed pool motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.