Voltage in pool

Davidchdhc

Aug 10, 2023
Mobile, Al
Hey guys , my old pool light started leaking so I decided to replace it with a led light. My grandkids came over for a swim and to see the new colored lights. All of them were getting shocked. Tested the water with a voltmeter and it had 1.5 v. Unhooked the light and voltage back to zero. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
David

Welcome to TFP.

More details are needed about the LED lights you installed and how they are wired.

Is your pool and equipment properly bonded?

ajw, thanks for your response, have had the pool for 25 years with no problems until the halogen light stated leaking so have had the power off to the light for a while.
we had a leak around one of the jets under the concrete earlier this year so they had to cut a section out of the concrete to repair leak .( maybe reason the bonding/grounding not working)
i took the led light back out thinking it was the reason for the voltage. voltage went back to normal or close . got .02 volts .hooked the light back up and getting 1.4 volts. guess the bonding/grounding is messed up somewhere .we also had the liner replaced 2 months ago. just not sure where the voltage is coming from ,all the wiring and light hooked back up the way it was Pool is 20 x 40 vinyl inground with salt system usually test with strips or run sample to pool store to check

Is the LED light 120V or 12V?

Do you have a transformer in the light circuit?

Do you have a light junction box? Where is it located?

When you took the LED light back out where did you disconnect it?

Is the LED light 120V or 12V?

Do you have a transformer in the light circuit?

Do you have a light junction box? Where is it located?

When you took the LED light back out where did you disconnect it?
120v, no transformer, light junction box located about 6 feet behind diving board. Pump, salt system and heater about 20ft from shallow end, disconnected behind diving board

What model LED light?

120V LED light is more suspect. A 120V LED light actually has its own transformer in the light. LEDs don't work on 120V. They need a lower voltage.

Show us pics of the light junction box.

What model LED light?

120V LED light is more suspect. A 120V LED light actually has its own transformer in the light. LEDs don't work on 120V. They need a lower voltage.

Show us pics of the light junction box.
I removed the led light and put a new halogen back in just to see if there was a difference. Did not make any difference , voltage remains 1.4v . When the power to the light is connected wether it’s led or halogen , getting voltage. When light is not connected I get .24v

I removed the led light and put a new halogen back in just to see if there was a difference. Did not make any difference , voltage remains 1.4v . When the power to the light is connected wether it’s led or halogen , getting voltage. When light is not connected I get .24v
Beginning to think when the liner was replaced a few months back I lost the grounding/bonding to the light