Vinyl tanning ledge or Fiberglass tanning ledge

Xspearo

Jul 14, 2019
Vineland, NJ
Hi, I am looking to get a inground vinyl lined pool and would like a tanning ledge to put lounge chairs on and stuff. I see that you can include a tanning ledge with a vinyl lined pool but I'm not sure about durability or longevity so I was wondering if its possible to add a fiberglass tanning ledge to a vinyl lined pool? Does anyone have any thoughts on this, is a vinyl lined tanning ledge durable enough or if the fiberglass tanning ledge is a option is it better?

Last edited:
That is what I thought but wanted to make sure. I really don't know of anyone that has done that. I do know of someone what made a PVC shelf for their kids. They use PVC for the support and used the not wood decking boards for the top. It worked great. They did make sure there was NO way anyone could go under it so there was no way to get trapped under it. They make one of the areas a "gate" of sorts so they could get under there to clean if needed.

They make a fiberglass one a member here last year installed one. Depends how you will use it. Obviously you must protect the liner with foam under the loungers feet. It depends on your stairs choice really. If doing liner over steps it looks better all liner. If colored steps you can match the fiberglass to the ledge so its cohesive. The fiberglass is like an add on its not built into the pool ita like a large kiddie pool added on the outside draining into pool

Yea I'm thinking of something like in these pics maybe. Maybe I can get it more seamless, so it's not as detected from pool.

Attachments

• inground-vinyl-liner-pool-with-raised-fiberglass-tanning-ledge-1.jpg
    inground-vinyl-liner-pool-with-raised-fiberglass-tanning-ledge-1.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20190715-093459_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190715-093459_Chrome.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 47
Yea I'm thinking of something like in these pics maybe. Maybe I can get it more seamless, so it's not as detected from pool.

I think that looks great. I personally would rather that than a liner over ledge. Vinyl liners will always get holes eventually, and IMO with a tanning ledge there are just more chances for rips in the liner due to stuff people would put on it, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.