Vinyl repair at skimmer

• Hello everyone. Sorry, this is a double post as I originally posted to the wrong section.
  • Love the forum. Love the knowledge. Need the help.

Long story hopefully made shorter:
    I guess on one of the last cleanings of the year, before covering the pool, I accidentally cut the liner near the bottom in the middle of the pool. Didn't know this happened until I removed the cover this spring. I was able to find the cut and successfully patch it. The placement of the liner looked pretty bad from all the shifting but wanted to fill the pool and see how it turned out. The liner stretched and went into place fairly well with the exception of under the skimmer. I'm prepared to buy a new liner but would rather try and save this one to get some exte life out of it. I attached a picture... hope it helps.

I was thinking of removing the skimmer plate and using the same patch method to build the vynal up to where its supposed to go. My worry is since there was obviously a lot of tension at that point that when I remove the plate its going to stretch more. Do you think this will happen or will the pressure thats now exerted on the sides prevent any movement?

Please give me your opinions, suggestions, recommendations and comments. Thank you all!!

Attachments

• 20200421_194727.jpg
    20200421_194727.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 18
I can’t really speak to whether it would work or not, but I did want to mention that if you do decide to patch, then I remove the skimmer plate and use a large piece of vinyl to patch all the way up to the top and out past the left and right sides of the skimmer plate, then cut a new hole for the skimmer. That way the new vinyl will be going all the way around the skimmer hole. I think you would have a very difficult time trying to get the skimmer plate to seal if there was a seam in the middle of it.

The liner pulled right out of the faceplate screws. That's pretty bad. Depends on skimmer type and if gasket is still good. It likely wouldnt move much but that depends on what it looks like under water. You can judge that by the lines of tile pattern.
@jimmythegreek i can't tell below the water line have the vinyl has laid down but I assume it has shifted toward the center of the pool hence the extreme pulling at the skimmer but who knows. I guess I'll remove the skimmer plate once I have a larger piece of vinyl for patching. Thanks very much for chiming in.

I can’t really speak to whether it would work or not, but I did want to mention that if you do decide to patch, then I remove the skimmer plate and use a large piece of vinyl to patch all the way up to the top and out past the left and right sides of the skimmer plate, then cut a new hole for the skimmer. That way the new vinyl will be going all the way around the skimmer hole. I think you would have a very difficult time trying to get the skimmer plate to seal if there was a seam in the middle of it.
@Brett S I understand completely what you are saying. Plus I think that will give the existing vinyl a little more "support" if that makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.