MsMc

Jul 26, 2018
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have studied and followed all guidelines but I cannot get the green out (is not as murky now). Frustrating because one day I need to add pounds of phdown, next day needs chlorine, need to vacuum because all levels are right except low chlorine, another day need to add more pounds of phdown, another time I have to drain and replace water, round and round I go, throwing cash into the water, and I cannot figure out why these changes are happening. It's only a little 16' vinyl circle pool that the family let go until it got algae bloom. I learn languages easily, but chemistry is not a human language! I'm not dumb and I hate to give up. My son suggested draining all 6000 gallons of water and starting over. But then the balancing begins again ... is there any help for me?

Flat out if you have good drain paths and cheap fill water, it's way easier (and cheaper) to start over.

We'll make this fill be right from the get-go.

Or you fight and we'll guide you.

How are you testing ?

Have a read because most of what you described is not in the instructions. SLAM Process

I don't know whether to drain or keep fighting.

As I review all my errors, they all seem to go back to using test strips. I thought I could not afford a recommended drop test so ended up spending same money on lots of chemicals. Result is less murky and less green water.

So I think my first step is to buy the expensive test kit. Where is the emoji for slapping my head?

Errors I made:
1. I had no budget for a TFT test kit so I used HTH and Clorox test strips my son had already bought.
2. Thought I was doing a slam but (how on earth?) missed the essential of keeping FC at 12 for days.
3. Relied on guidance from HTH phone experts which addressed other numbers, not chlorine first.
4. Did not understand chemicals even after reading and watching TFP videos.
5. Cannot be sure I am reading colors correctly on the stupid test strips.
6. Can't seem to read strips fast enough (20 seconds).
7. Bought a drop test kit for chlorine and pH, still having trouble matching colors.
8. Did not know son was using Waste setting on Hayward sand filter to "clean" it.
9. Backwashed frequently whenever jet got weak, sometimes in only an hour.
10. Replaced some water more than once, but no way to measure how much.
11. Did not keep a chronological record on paper of all my measurements.
12. Got into dirty water to vacuum thoroughly.
13. Confused myself by using two brands of test strips.
14. If you can think of anything that can mess up results, I did that, too.

Perhaps my solution is to drain the pool and leave it empty?

Deep breath. Your number 1 issue is you are seeking advice from various groups and you will frustrate yourself all day long. TFP works, but you need a quality test kit and follow the SLAM process precisely.

Reactions: MsMc
I am ordering the TF-100 test kit with stirrer. Should I drain at this point? Or keep adding chlorine twice a day until the test kit arrives?

Breathing deeply.

Do you know how much it will cost to drain and refill in your area? I would use that to decide what you want to do. I'll also look to some of the experts chime in on draining/refilling an Intex pool safely.

Flat out if you have good drain paths and cheap fill water, it's way easier (and cheaper) to start over.
+1. With my water rates it would cost around $20 to refill. Starting fresh and following TFP methods with the new fill will make things much easier for you. The test kit will make it foolproof. Good choice!

Intex style pools are designed to be taken down and stored every winter. You can drain then fully and there is even a drain plug to help.
This problem started after the pool was left full and uncovered ... ignored .... after the weather got cool. Full of plant matter. Gross.

This problem started after the pool was left full and uncovered ... ignored .... after the weather got cool. Full of plant matter. Gross.
Today:
Intex above-ground 16' diameter circle near 4 ft high with water, total expected volume 6000 gallons, Hayward sand filter, sodium hydroxide

Evening 7 pm
Chlorine 1, all others Acceptable
FC 1
PH 7.8
TA 120
TH 200
CYA 100
HTH strip, numbers from HTH app
Added 3 cups Pro-Clor Pool Shock liquid chlorinator, sodium hypochlorite 12.5% liquid shock

An hour later, by Qualco drop liquid test
FC is 6.0+
PH 8.2 "

HTH strip repeated:
FC 10
PH 8.4+
TA 120
TH 200
CYA 100

I am willing to drain now, but do these results mean I'm getting close enough to begin slam?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you gonna drain and refill. You'll need 24 oz of chlorine stabilizer to increase CYA to 30 ppm. Find some liquid chlorine (either 10% or 12.5%). You may need muriatic acid as well. Have one gallon on hand for now. When you get your test kit, test your fill water and post results. We can guide you from there.

Now is the time to study up. Plan on adding 4 ppm of chlorine daily. Test daily to ensure FC stays above minimum. Heavy bather load in a smaller pool may require more chlorine. Your test kit will let you know.
Pool Care Basics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.