Vinyl Nightmare with Pic

It looks to me like it melted either from heat or chemical. That would also explain why there is no trace of the missing liner. 40fan might be onto something with the light that appears right above it. Perhaps a weird prism heating event.

Vinyl Liners (especially new ones) are designed to withstand heat. If this was not the case, we would see more issues. But anything is possible. A chemical reaction (This is believe 150%), but how?

"EDIT" After all, maybe the suns rays did melt the vinyl off. Wow, never thought this could happen. Post # 29.

Last edited:
It looks to me like it melted either from heat or chemical. That would also explain why there is no trace of the missing liner. 40fan might be onto something with the light that appears right above it. Perhaps a weird prism heating event.

Ya it looks highly focused. Similar to kids using a magnifying glass on ants.

There was a story a few years back about a new hotel in Las Vegas.
The way the glass reflected the sun into the pool area it was burning people really bad.

I can;t remember how they addressed that, but it was very dangerous.

Video: Are Your Neighbor's Windows Melting Your Siding? | Angie's List

It might be the reflected light. With the pool empty, the light can overheat the vinyl. When the pool is full, the water will protect the vinyl.

It's also going to require an exact alignment of the sun to make the spot.

It might only hit the right alignment 1 day a year.

There might be other factors, such as the curvature of the window due to wind or stress.

Maybe a 1 in a million accident.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I apologize for not posting more pics but work has gone crazy. I talked to the installer over the phone and they said they would replace the liner. They put a patch up temporarily so we can use the pool. https://www.troublefreepool.com/dbtgallery.php?do=view_image&id=1722&gal=gallery

I was curious to you think a patch like this would hold ?
Is there any way of using the original liner as patch material since it would look better?

Edit: I also haven't run the light ray check since I haven't been home and it doesn't happen all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.