Vinyl Liner safe tanning ledge furniture

IronMan13

Oct 2, 2020
Iowa
Hello all! Our new pool is almost finished getting installed, just in time to close it down for the season :( We did a 20x40 vinyl liner pool with an auto cover and at the shallow end we have a 8'x17' tanning ledge with ~9" water depth. We were looking at "vinyl liner safe" lounge chairs and are getting sticker shock on how much they are! Are there any alternatives out there or modifications you can do to lounge chairs that you can safely use on a vinyl liner?

another thing we are struggling with is the ones that you have to fill with water to weigh them down. With an auto cover and wanting to close it each night we would essentially need to empty the chairs to remove them from the pool in order for the cover to close and then fill them again. So with exploring alternatives that would work on a vinyl liner we would also ideally find ones that are easy to put in the pool and remove each night.

thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum!
As I remember there have been posts with discussion on the vinyl liner and chairs on it -- have you done a search of this Forum - Poolside Paradise?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the reply! I did try and search the forum and found several threads around furniture for tanning/sun ledges, but in most of them it appeared that replies weren't specifying what type of pool they had. So i couldn't tell which ones would be good for vinyl liners.

My ledge is only 5 inches deep, but this is what I do for the cost concerns you have.

I bought a beach chair like this one

Tommy Bahama 2020 Backpack Cooler Chair with Storage Pouch and Towel Bar Amazon.com: Tommy Bahama 2020 Backpack Cooler Chair with Storage Pouch and Towel Bar: Kitchen & Dining

And then I bought some pipe insulation from lowes like this (just match diameter)

We don't leave the chairs in the pool, only place them in when being used.

Reactions: Snoobug
My ledge is only 5 inches deep, but this is what I do for the cost concerns you have.

I bought a beach chair like this one

Tommy Bahama 2020 Backpack Cooler Chair with Storage Pouch and Towel Bar Amazon.com: Tommy Bahama 2020 Backpack Cooler Chair with Storage Pouch and Towel Bar: Kitchen & Dining

And then I bought some pipe insulation from lowes like this (just match diameter)

We don't leave the chairs in the pool, only place them in when being used.

nice! good call on that! I suppose with enough ingenuity you could make anything vinyl liner safe. only "issue" then would be is if the wife accepts how it looks or not ;)

My wife is very on board with this solution. For one, she appreciates that my solution cost about $30 per chair (got them at Sams club). And two, she understands that ripping the liner would be awful, so better safe than sorry.

I hope my idea leads to a brain storm that works out for your situation.

One note about my foam solution. I ask my wife (and again she had no problem with this) to make sure that when she put the chairs in the pool, that she rotated the foam so that the seam was pointing up. What we found was that when the seam was down and you sat on them, it would sort of split the seam. And I keep a few spares pieces of foam around, because sometimes the tape holding ti together will fail when it dries out.

We decided to not leave the chairs in for a couple of reasons. One, we dont want to use them all the time, and they are in the way when not desired. Two, for us debris can collect on the floor of the ledge. So leaving the charis in makes it hard to vacuum.

Reactions: IronMan13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.