vinyl lined inground pool return fitting leaking

56chev truck

Nov 10, 2022
canada
good day everyone. this site has been very helpful in the past i hope it can get me out of a bind.weather getting colder here.. here is our situation: we have determined that there was indeed a leak in return line.upon further inspection i could see cracks in thread area of white portion of fitting.(leaking below this area).i have new fitting arriving today. my main question to the experts out there is does liner have to be replaced to do this as i seen posted elsewhere (liner 3yrs old). or can liner be pulled out of track to do this? how would you pull liner out of track? i have pool drained down below return level already

or can liner be pulled out of track to do this? i have pool drained down below return level already.

Last edited:
Hey 56 and Welcome !!!!

There is always some risk that the liner shifts when you remove it. The return fitting screws need to line back up perfectly when your'e done. If the liner shifted when working on another area, it might be tight, or wrinkly, but it wouldnt be as big of a deal.
With less screws than the skimmer, you have slightly better odds with the return fitting, so there is that.

can liner be pulled out of track to do this?
It should be able to. I would try tape to pull the liner edge up and out of the track. I would start with something not as sticky and work my way up the list as they didn't work.
Gorilla tape would certainly get a good hold of the liner, but you don't want to damage the liner getting the tape off either, you know ? 🤣

Another idea to have at the ready when you are ready to do it is a large piece of vinyl and vinyl glue to put over the return hole. That way if the liner does shift you will be ready to patch it. Of course if you have it at the ready you will not need it BUT got to be ready just in case!

Reactions: Newdude
Hey 56 and Welcome !!!!

There is always some risk that the liner shifts when you remove it. The return fitting screws need to line back up perfectly when your'e done. If the liner shifted when working on another area, it might be tight, or wrinkly, but it wouldnt be as big of a deal.
With less screws than the skimmer, you have slightly better odds with the return fitting, so there is that.

It should be able to. I would try tape to pull the liner edge up and out of the track. I would start with something not as sticky and work my way up the list as they didn't work.
Gorilla tape would certainly get a good hold of the liner, but you don't want to damage the liner getting the tape off either, you know ? 🤣
my biggest concern is getting liner out of track/bead. i wonder if gorrilla tape strong enough to pull up out of track.fitting has arrived and looks like correct one. hey new dude only working on one area the return jet that s leaking

my biggest concern is getting liner out of track/bead. i wonder if gorrilla tape strong enough to pull up out of track.
It really shouldn't take much. And once it's started the rest will come out like a undoing a zipper. Your biggest hurlde will be the cold liner being tight.

Hot (but not boiling) water will help make the liner more pliable to get it out.

It really shouldn't take much. And once it's started the rest will come out like a undoing a zipper. Your biggest hurlde will be the cold liner being tight.

Hot (but not boiling) water will help make the liner more pliable to get it out.

Hot (but not boiling) water will hey nelp make the liner more pliable to get
hey newdude i think you have something there with regards to using tape. i have a scrap piece of new liner . i used the red tuck tape sheating tape and tried a test. i put edge of liner with no tape on it in vise and boy does the tape hold.! will try tomorrow

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.