Vinyl Closing - Helping Neighbor

noelc

Sep 1, 2018
Upper Providence - PA
I'm helping a neighbor close their pool this year. I closed mine last year with good success, however, I have a Plaster pool and concerned about any differences. See pics

I have a couple of questions on closing a Vinyl pool. I've instructed him to make sure the pool is clean and balanced before closing. Also using PolyQuat and Shocking the pool several days before with the SLAM procedures.

His pool may be 15K gallons with a deep end of 5-6 feet. 4 returns , 2 skimmers and a double main drain. Pretty straight forward plumbing.

1) Their pool is three years old. I assume the SLAM procedure is the same. I saw a thread for a new pool vinyl liner not to shock so wanted to make sure
2) Does the water level at the closing matter as much? They have no tile to crack upon freezing. He did not have a pump last year to reduce the water level and his skimmers were fine with the expansion plug

3) Is there anything Vinyl specific I should know about.

He has opened green every year. But he was closing very early and was having a company perform the closing. This year I convinced him to close much later and wait for the water temp to drop.

Any additional tips on or differences on vinyl closing would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3221.JPEG
    IMG_3221.JPEG
    635.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3222.JPEG
    IMG_3222.JPEG
    835.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3223.JPEG
    IMG_3223.JPEG
    638.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3224.JPEG
    IMG_3224.JPEG
    684.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3225.JPEG
    IMG_3225.JPEG
    726 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3226.JPEG
    IMG_3226.JPEG
    684.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3227.JPEG
    IMG_3227.JPEG
    706.8 KB · Views: 11
1) Their pool is three years old. I assume the SLAM procedure is the same. I saw a thread for a new pool vinyl liner not to shock so wanted to make sure

What is the CYA? I believe the post you referred to was a new water fill with no CYA in the water. You can raise FC to SLAM FC level for the CYA based on FC/CYA Levels.

2) Does the water level at the closing matter as much? They have no tile to crack upon freezing. He did not have a pump last year to reduce the water level and his skimmers were fine with the expansion plug

its a judgement call. If the pool owner checks the water during the winter and can pump out water if it is overflowing then you do need to lower water much below the skimmers.

3) Is there anything Vinyl specific I should know about.

We will see what others have to add.

Thanks, everyone. Water is not new, but pool is about three years old. Not sure if there is any CYA but good to know. I will check and balance all water beforehand just to be sure. Will put chlorine in then to appropriate levels. I'm sure closing will take us a little longer but could to know it's on the simpler side and will be sure to put in the Polyquat. The fact that he is closing much later will be the biggest helping factor I believe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.