Vgreen to Aqualink RS

slickrick2002

Jan 16, 2023
Paulina, TX
Bearnings went out on my two speed stealth so I made the decision to upgrade to variable speed. The company that sold me the motor did not consider commuincation with the aqualink RS. After pump was installed and running no communication can be made. At least the little I tried before finding out more information as to not damage the pump. Im wondering if I should get the automation kit sold by vgreen, which I think is ok but not the best option. I would like a jandy speed drive but I do not know which drive would work best. All I need the pump to do is run a regular schedule and go to high speed when in spa mode. I cant be the only one out there trying to get a vgreen to communicate with the RS panel. This vgreen looks almost exactly like my jandy VS water feature pump. I have considered stealing the pump drive off of it and just using the vgreen for water features. There must be a way without going backwards and removing the motor and swapping out for jandy.

Bearnings went out on my two speed stealth so I made the decision to upgrade to variable speed. The company that sold me the motor did not consider commuincation with the aqualink RS. After pump was installed and running no communication can be made. At least the little I tried before finding out more information as to not damage the pump. Im wondering if I should get the automation kit sold by vgreen, which I think is ok but not the best option. I would like a jandy speed drive but I do not know which drive would work best. All I need the pump to do is run a regular schedule and go to high speed when in spa mode. I cant be the only one out there trying to get a vgreen to communicate with the RS panel. This vgreen looks almost exactly like my jandy VS water feature pump. I have considered stealing the pump drive off of it and just using the vgreen for water features. There must be a way without going backwards and removing the motor and swapping out for jandy.
That's one of the problems with trying to mix new computers (EVO) with different ones (Jandy RS). All VSP's are computer controlled. Its like trying to make an Apple communicate with a PC. There are work-arounds but they're not always elegant nor simple.

While it won't communicate directly, if you set the DIP switches in the motor control compartment "3-OFF 4-OFF" (which should be the default setting from the factory), and set the proper schedule, your pump will run at a high enough speed that it should run your spa. Try Schedule 4 first and, if that doesn't work try Schedule 3. The pump should be powered on/off through a relay with a regular start/stop time each day, long enough for the built in schedules to run. These are one of the few VSP-motors that are made to have the power interrupted.

The built in schedule, 3 or 4, should be good for your pool. Picking schedules requires button pushes explained in the manual.

Regardless of what speed is running when you switch to "spa," the pump will turn off to let the valves turn. When it is powered again it will start at the high speed and maintain that speed for what is sufficient time to enjoy the spa. If not, just start over.

If the installer didn't leave one, a copy of the manual is attached. The automation adapter for the V-Green was made for the V-Green 2.7, not the EVO. There is no documentation for using it on the EVO and it is impossible to get anyway, they were discontinued. So far Regal Beloit does not show one for the EVO, though one may come out later. The V-Green 2.7 was available for about 2 years before its adapter came out.

I have set up several of the V-Green 165 motors with Jandy and Pentair automation this way and all is good, just takes "a little getting used to." No customer has ever really noticed a big difference when using their spa and have been very happy with the motor and the cost savings over a complete new pump.

Attachments

• V-Green EVO.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: slickrick2002
thanks for the reply...do you know how long the pump should run in override? So I am the installer and I am willing to try things. One thought is to try the jandy speed drive from the water feature pump...kind of scared to do it but I got a feeling it will work. Right now the pump is wired directly to the breaker, running on its own preset schedule. If I knew which speed drive would work I would order it bc I think its worth it. I will try and play with the dip switches more when i have time just incase the EVO can communicate I would be happy to share how since the older version vgreens do not communicate out the box. I did find it odd my pump only has two dip switches(3 and 4) and when I read the instructions on the adapter it mentions four and the fact that I could not find an adapter seemed odd. I do find it odd that a company making a pool pump in 2023 has no way to commuincate one of the big three right out of the box yet there is a RS485 connection right there available for use....

thanks for the reply...do you know how long the pump should run in override? So I am the installer and I am willing to try things. One thought is to try the jandy speed drive from the water feature pump...kind of scared to do it but I got a feeling it will work. Right now the pump is wired directly to the breaker, running on its own preset schedule. If I knew which speed drive would work I would order it bc I think its worth it. I will try and play with the dip switches more when i have time just incase the EVO can communicate I would be happy to share how since the older version vgreens do not communicate out the box. I did find it odd my pump only has two dip switches(3 and 4) and when I read the instructions on the adapter it mentions four and the fact that I could not find an adapter seemed odd. I do find it odd that a company making a pool pump in 2023 has no way to commuincate one of the big three right out of the box yet there is a RS485 connection right there available for use....
Page 7. Override is 24hrs.

That's one of the problems with trying to mix new computers (EVO) with different ones (Jandy RS). All VSP's are computer controlled. Its like trying to make an Apple communicate with a PC. There are work-arounds but they're not always elegant nor simple.

While it won't communicate directly, if you set the DIP switches in the motor control compartment "3-OFF 4-OFF" (which should be the default setting from the factory), and set the proper schedule, your pump will run at a high enough speed that it should run your spa. Try Schedule 4 first and, if that doesn't work try Schedule 3. The pump should be powered on/off through a relay with a regular start/stop time each day, long enough for the built in schedules to run. These are one of the few VSP-motors that are made to have the power interrupted.

The built in schedule, 3 or 4, should be good for your pool. Picking schedules requires button pushes explained in the manual.

Regardless of what speed is running when you switch to "spa," the pump will turn off to let the valves turn. When it is powered again it will start at the high speed and maintain that speed for what is sufficient time to enjoy the spa. If not, just start over.

If the installer didn't leave one, a copy of the manual is attached. The automation adapter for the V-Green was made for the V-Green 2.7, not the EVO. There is no documentation for using it on the EVO and it is impossible to get anyway, they were discontinued. So far Regal Beloit does not show one for the EVO, though one may come out later. The V-Green 2.7 was available for about 2 years before its adapter came out.

I have set up several of the V-Green 165 motors with Jandy and Pentair automation this way and all is good, just takes "a little getting used to." No customer has ever really noticed a big difference when using their spa and have been very happy with the motor and the cost savings over a complete new pum

I have set up several of the V-Green 165 motors with Jandy and Pentair automation this way and all is good, just takes "a little getting used to." No customer has ever really noticed a big difference when using their spa and have been very happy with the motor and the cost savings over a complete new pump.
Rewired through the relay and setup as described. Only thing when I hit spa on the app pump just stays on schedule. I have to turn pump on and off from app if I want high speed. Better than nothing for sure. Thanks.

Rewired through the relay and setup as described. Only thing when I hit spa on the app pump just stays on schedule. I have to turn pump on and off from app if I want high speed. Better than nothing for sure. Thanks.
Unusual for an RS system to not power-off the pump before turning the valves.
Is it wired to the "Load" side of the relay, usually terminal 2 and 4?

Im running this pump exactly as described and it gets the job done. Thanks again. If you ever figure out a way to have direct commuincation please hit me up.

Reactions: 1poolman1
This manual includes more details on EVO automation, including Aqualink RS. I'm not closely familiar with how pool automation systems work in general, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in. I'd love to set up automation between Evo and Jandy RS.

Attachments

• C00065E.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This manual includes more details on EVO automation, including Aqualink RS. I'm not closely familiar with how pool automation systems work in general, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in. I'd love to set up automation between Evo and Jandy RS.
Need the EVO with Century Connect. I believe all new EVO motors now have that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.