Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Hello!

Has anyone had problems with a vgreen motor tripping your gfci breaker when it changes from one step to another? I have a one month old 165 motor that seeems to trip (about once a week) my 20 amp gfci ge breaker when it changes from step 1 to step2. I can tell this because it is on a mechanical timer. I replaced the breaker, checked for any leakages already. Are these bad motors?

Harmonics from the variable frequency drive can cause false GFCI trips. Pentair PA220GF is a 20A 240V GFCI breaker that GFCI trips at 6ma. The PA220GF is supposed to be less sensitive to false GCFI trips from VS pumps.

The PA220GF is a relabeled Siemens CB (QF220AP) although some say Pentair may have additional quality control and selects breakers less susceptible to false GFCI trips.

Try the Pentair or Siemens breaker if it fits into your CB panel.

I did read about these - and it will fit my breaker box! I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with switching out their square d, ge, etc. breakers with these and if they helped. They run about $130. If they are an improvement, it would be worth it. Being new to variable frequency drives (for pool use), I wasn't sure if I made a mistake. It is very off putting to find a pool pump breaker tripped when you go to check on your pool! I was wondering if these specific motors (Vgreen 165) have an inherent problem. It is still under warranty.

There are a bunch of folks around here with VGreen motors. Let's see if any of them have a comment on your situation.

I agree, I started with a two pole 15 Amp Square D Homeline GFCI breaker on my Vgreen 165 motor but after a few cases of spurious tripping I swapped it out with the Siemens QF215A and haven’t had any problems since.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.