Very strange test results!

c8476b3db70e477755d50279cbdb038e.jpg

I believe Mr. Faulks name has popped up a few times here ..

Yep I have been using the 10 to 1 formula. Latest test looking better we are on the charts for ammonia now. We are putting our last 5 gallons in and hopefully going for another 15 gallons tonight to finish this.

Test tube on the right is 50% diluted with tap water.

QMUWzZsinYxM-BC8M5MEA2-X93kmDUI3xDCPuzHPBdKxj1hqCdNxdjrMqmRbzyRFd_zfg-33mCphtP1ni_MgRuAFQZ0FHX0Q56e3cfJcMA9sQjwXQ1f2xZkrb-FF0dQ2Z2cpmhOi6L4bhernvlC2BeGBY1WALct8prZnoA7MPdOBKfAT-iaKbi2KrXg_4k6ffUISi5IPWMPCyTyALi25886Fal3qPIWv_Z72Ou13VnyHabvE8DLjnk86H9fMCIx3dpNyH_fmscvPP2OkxS33AeC_ONTt6TBZwUVTPHMwoIK9aoBV5i41NPIcOXjWZ3aHpugC86wvkTy4lXzBM4xCTfX1m24gdMcN9ycpYzm6KRQ0NToXurv_P9RzzP2yLAR4t2cG4zFXkDahosVpYXYTIgf2ILJa_8IMebEIvYOoSKwK8ZoEqNasQs89B38Ly7DPyEKoi5ELXraD1VUmsOfFdpqGeaa_ENBS8-8ZaZJd4NW4ioBG-MpV29HVW6PpGp5BK9yyOUufujO_nVA4reyRQ875xVkJ4ygNPmMzDv0JVBrnsWJoF4Y-0nKkjOU2sEfPIcI3134BYo4qpnoOnLczN5tScBV1QcjbUyNbmEE=w720-h959-no

100 gallons of bleach X $2.99/gal = ~$300

How much would it have been to drain and refill the pool??? I live in the most expensive part of the USA where water costs more than a Starbucks latte and I can fill my 16,000 gal pool for less than $300 ... as old Kenny said it best - “You got to know when to fold ‘em...”

OK so we are looking REALLY good! We just got back from safeway where we got 14 more gallons of bleach. I took a reading and it looks like less than 1 ppm ammonia is left.

We are adding another 6 gallons right now since FC is 1 and hopefully this finishes off the last of the ammonia and keeps it through the night. I am leaving really early tomorrow so I was going to tell him to put in 5 gallons before he leaves for work at 8am. I think that means when I get home at 4:00pm the FC should register hopefully around 3-4. Not sure though I know he probably needs to do a SLAM.

Will it be ok to add CYA tomorrow? I was going to put in 5lbs exactly so I can work backwards to calculate his pool volume.

egd1RKC-TofB7y7YE5QyGkThEmAUCeVL6LesncjHtPGYMHBsmVx1zSWmE-sxaU480cfzliOdjinQQWSfw3djsJGrw7Dygs6nblkOCCg31ta3eHUtM0VdPjq7dhxQRBtkJsdBEFcWvgURFFM_QVviqAvKo4Fqy3URUa5r71HT7mgGzXtyexz0ikQXF6j9cbUVPkQZIDyJYPwlMUREgzYjykCIJ0JiouHJjN5NceUq5YKN6h1KFiu-jLB4kVwv_7J_DTXnCohdBM_RBGZF4RHzd2kchyRSmPZ0vmO3O_8AAvAkmF8wzysTErRJArj7vH8KjB0lCKdgDhy0PpBIPJG_Xm3tnLEe3-1Ur8e1gixxONB-tEhDGiov0Fz20Y_Ys1ctP2FgVuDBvBxDV41sO_isEV2CDweczmvJJuVdJSLkm-R8t0V-WBxtM8cpISIqJ5w5Yhs6u6zDLLTEpOD08iHUEiXwloN0dY6A3lTIkPm2SFxiK1Ntr1FlClbvt_KUgsb7bW9A6dvjJMrcKweqeB71Pl86nr_Yy7Nxi7P43Hq_gcThx_DedT2Ew38zNHKOgavRrCIWB0qVVz2jHIZ2jZo-N8JegWffWwdMNaq4wDGwjwlIB6zxdLb-wKrzZJOqVOheiDwyAC5m6ADGdaxf64NfTA5clKDlI6wP=w720-h959-no

And the sad part is, they filled those trucks with fire hydrant water from a 1/4 mile down the road from where the end customer lived ;)

They are “water company” water from 2 towns over, our municipal water is managed by private companies. Tankers have a dedicated fill station. Still just plain old tap water...

No hydrants at the job area, or municipal water.

Towns are getting quite stingy with hydrant tapping nowadays.

No question, A premium for immediate fill, remote access, diesel & driver was definitely paid..
Big picture I paid for placement.

In fact I’m going to look at my home water bill, and presume they pay at least half price per gallon. & if it adds up, maybe buy a tanker.

Draining and filling would have been my preference but neither of us has a pump so it would have been time-consuming using his backwash and my small sump pump. Probably would have been 3-4 days to drain. Then another 2 to fill. Not to mention his plaster is 15 years old and I am not sure how well it will fair being empty for the first time ever. I can see a lot of pitting on some of the plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Draining and filling would have been my preference but neither of us has a pump so it would have been time-consuming using his backwash and my small sump pump. Probably would have been 3-4 days to drain. Then another 2 to fill. Not to mention his plaster is 15 years old and I am not sure how well it will fair being empty for the first time ever. I can see a lot of pitting on some of the plaster.

Actually you both have pretty large pumps...

What does the water look like at this point? Was it murky when he opened it? Clear?

- - - Updated - - -

They are “water company” water from 2 towns over, our municipal water is managed by private companies. Tankers have a dedicated fill station. Still just plain old tap water...

No hydrants at the job area, or municipal water.

Towns are getting quite stingy with hydrant tapping nowadays.

No question, A premium for immediate fill, remote access, diesel & driver was definitely paid..
Big picture I paid for placement.

In fact I’m going to look at my home water bill, and presume they pay at least half price per gallon. & if it adds up, maybe buy a tanker.

Any fish ponds or reservoirs nearby that look a tad bit lower than usual :laughblue:

Must be a Greenwich pool, they like their pools filled with only the best premium water...

What does the water look like at this point? Was it murky when he opened it? Clear?

- - - Updated - - -

Any fish ponds or reservoirs nearby that look a tad bit lower than usual :laughblue:

Must be a Greenwich pool, they like their pools filled with only the best premium water...

It is fairly clear right now. It was murky when he opened last week.

It is fairly clear right now. It was murky when he opened last week.

Well, to your question of whether to SLAM or not, you will almost definitely want to SLAM that pool and follow through with it until you’ve reached the three exit criteria. Clear water is not an indicator of clean water. Those CCs need to come down to 0.5ppm or less and the water needs to be able to hold FC loss to less than 1ppm overnight to be TFP clean.

If you a dona good job with your neighbor, hopefully he’ll see that that the TFPC Method is much better than the pool store method with its steady diet of pucks and shock.

Before hitting it with chlorine, you should have bottled about 100 gallons to sell to other people with high CYA.

$39.99 per gallon.

If the bacteria was able to grow, it might work.

Before hitting it with chlorine, you should have bottled about 100 gallons to sell to other people with high CYA.

$39.99 per gallon.

If the bacteria was able to grow, it might work.

The thought had crossed my mind to market and sell the CYA eating bacteria. Too bad they don't just go away once they are done. They appear to thrive on CYA.

As of this morning there are still traces amounts of ammonia. Chlorine level measured around FC 1. Chloramines (CC) measured around 1 as well. So we are adding 5 gallons of bleach this morning and will check later to see if all ammonia is totally gone.

I am still unsure when to add CYA. The post linked above it seemed like he added CYA as soon as he got a 0 ammonia reading but I don't want to inadvertently feed the bacteria again and have to start over. Any advice on that as far as when to add CYA? It is overcast/raining today so perhaps the sun is not as much an issue?

Add enough bleach to get up to 10ppm FC, brush and circulate the water as best you can then remeasure the FC in about 15mins. If the FC get close to your predicted value then there isn’t any ammonia around. The two react very quickly with one another so you’ll know where you’re at right away.

If you get up the FC then I would start adding back CYA via the sock method. Shoot for 30ppm CYA and then start dosing the pool to shock levels, about 12-15ppm FC. SLAM until all three exit criteria are met. Then, flip your neighbor the keys, hand him a TFP business card and slow-walk away from the pool like a super hero with a slow growing mushroom cloud explosion in the background and your favorite rock & roll music playing. Hop on your Harley and ride off into the sunset :cool:

Add enough bleach to get up to 10ppm FC, brush and circulate the water as best you can then remeasure the FC in about 15mins. If the FC get close to your predicted value then there isn’t any ammonia around. The two react very quickly with one another so you’ll know where you’re at right away.

If you get up the FC then I would start adding back CYA via the sock method. Shoot for 30ppm CYA and then start dosing the pool to shock levels, about 12-15ppm FC. SLAM until all three exit criteria are met. Then, flip your neighbor the keys, hand him a TFP business card and slow-walk away from the pool like a super hero with a slow growing mushroom cloud explosion in the background and your favorite rock & roll music playing. Hop on your Harley and ride off into the sunset :cool:

I just checked again after the 8am morning 5 gallons of bleach. Is really low pH an expected result of adding so much bleach? I was going to go add a bunch of baking soda to get the pH up. Ammonia appears to be gone!

FC 6
CC .5
pH really low seems like 6.8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.