very small bugs gathering at tile/water line

raydimarcello

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2017
Chester Springs
Good day

1st full summer of new plaster pool ownership and all is basically well, except since opening the pool last week of April and the air temp coming up a bit, I am noticing a bunch of small - I don't know what they are - pic attached. I figured if I kept chlorine etc in check that would be sufficient to prevent something like this. So basically every day I've been brushing at least the tile line - which is getting tiresome. Any ideas? I do not recall this last summer but the pool only went online in July. Maybe this is a spring only thing? Located in SE PA.

thanks for any ideas ...

Test from today:

FC = 5
PH = 7.6
TA = 90
CH = 380
CA = 70
SALT (strip/digital) = 2640/3100

bug like thingys.jpg

It's a matter of less than optimum skimming action. I would try adjusting your returns to better circulate your water towards your skimmers. Bugs will be bugs and bug you by landing in your pool. Your FC level is irrelevant. It's just a matter of getting them to the skimmer(s). Or netting them out. You can also try reducing flow to your main drain (if you have one) to allow more water to be pulled into the skimmers, and thus more bugs.

To test your surface water flow during adjustment, you can use ping pong balls to provide a visual for water movement.

Open water attracts insects and during population explosions they can accumulate in your pool. More pump run time is required to keep the surface skimmed and consider using a hair net over your skimmer basket to collect the insects before they make their way into your filter element. Also put in 10 minutes of pool net time to help remove large accumulations off of the surface in the morning and evening. Put your Dolphin to work it will help remove any insects that make their way to the bottom and works on the water line also.
You will not have to wait long, the insect population will slow down. Now high winds are another matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.