Very odd test results

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I've been on board here for several years now and have had great results.

I have been talking to one of the guys at work about it and told him to bring in a sample and we could test it. When we did the results were odd and I am just looking for a little feedback.

First off his pH was off the chart low - less then 6.8 and when I tested alkalinity it turned red when I added the second chemical.

His stabilizer was around 100 despite adding very little this season (mine disappears every winter).

Chlorine tested at 5 with 0 cc.

Any idea why the alkalinity test was so whacky? Is 0 even a possible reading?

What should we do to begin to get things squared away?

0 is a very possible reading, his TA is zero and pH is actually down around 3 or 4. It's kind of a big deal, causing permanent damage to the pool (please tell me he doesn't have a heater).

First step when TA is completely gone is to get it raised. Most people think they need to worry about the pH first, and this is true except when the TA is zero. He needs to figure out how much baking soda to add to bring his TA up to 50 and add that all in one go. Once that is done and it is mixed in then a retest will likely show a very low but readable pH. From there adjusting the pH will get him back in to range. If he chlorinates with tablets (which if he does it is likely why his pH bottomed out, they are quite acidic) then he will need to bring his TA up to 100 after he follows those first TA and pH adjustment steps.

The alkalinity can be below zero. For example, if it's -80, you can add 50 ppm and still show red right away.

This is almost always due to trichlor tab use with no testing of ph or TA.

Which test kit do you have?

I have a TF 100 - he has been using strips and said his pH and alkalinity were always whacky.

We will get started with the baking soda for the alkalinity and go from there.

thanks!

and no heater fortunately!
And I guess he always uses tabs? I helped a friend convert to TFP. He had "0" TA and super low pH as described, probably from years of acidic tab usage.....

It's actually not that uncommon for tab pools to get to zero alkalinity and no one seems to notice.

You would think that a 3 or 4 pH would cause enough discomfort that swimmers would complain.

It seems like there are cases where it really doesn't bother people.

It's definitely not safe to swim in, though.

I would suggest adding enough baking soda to add 80 ppm TA and then retest in a few hours and if below 80, add enough to get to 80.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.