Very high Cyanuric Acid with no obvious reason

Hello all. I've been from my pool in Mexico since late May. My caretaker was told to be sure to keep the pH balanced with muriatic acid since our method of chlorination is with Clorox due to the high CYA problem which was remedied 8with swapping 2/3 of the pool water before I left.
But now he was getting high pH but didn't take care of it with enough acid until CL was very low. So he's added acid often an oH is better but CL still way low
He shocked Friday and here are today's numbers
FC 0
TC 0
ALKALINITY 240
PH 7.8
CYA100
I won't be home for 3 weeks when I can use the TFP test kit. What should I have him do for now? Thanks!

Have him add more Clorox. It is likely you have algae that is consuming the FC rapidly.

Shocking will not fix an algae problem. It takes the SLAM Process

Also, your pH rapidly rises because the TA is very high.

And your CYA is too high. You need to drain and replace at least 50% of your water.

He has a few things to work on.

Hello...

Until you get your TF-100, please pull up your FC level to target level. IMO, in the meantime, add some bleach to your pool (The plain stuff - no splashless, scents, or polymers. No Clorox or cloromax - no additives). Add about a half a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine until you get your kit. That will add close to 5 ppm FC per day.

Your CYA is pretty high too. From this link, there isn't even an FC target level for a CYA above 80 (SWCG Pool). Thus, please drain your pool. For instance, if your CYA is at 100, then you'll need to drain at least 60% of your pool water with new water. This will get you down to a CYA of at least 40. The reason I say this is because from your note above, it looks like you're going to have to SLAM your pool and SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. With a CYA of 100, please replace your pool water with fresh water and bring your CYA down to 30 - 40 before you start to the SLAM. Note: wait for your kit comes in before you begin the SLAM process. In the mean time again, add some bleach to your pool (The plain stuff - no splashless, scents, or polymers. No Clorox or cloromax - no additives). Add about a half a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine until you get your kit. That will add close to 5 ppm FC per day.

Please keep us posted. If you can send pictures of your pool now that would be great too. :)

Hello...

Until you get your TF-100, please pull up your FC level to target level. IMO, in the meantime, add some bleach to your pool (The plain stuff - no splashless, scents, or polymers. No Clorox or cloromax - no additives). Add about a half a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine until you get your kit. That will add close to 5 ppm FC per day.

Your CYA is pretty high too. From this link, there isn't even an FC target level for a CYA above 80 (SWCG Pool). Thus, please drain your pool. For instance, if your CYA is at 100, then you'll need to drain at least 60% of your pool water with new water. This will get you down to a CYA of at least 40. The reason I say this is because from your note above, it looks like you're going to have to SLAM your pool and SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. With a CYA of 100, please replace your pool water with fresh water and bring your CYA down to 30 - 40 before you start to the SLAM. Note: wait for your kit comes in before you begin the SLAM process. In the mean time again, add some bleach to your pool (The plain stuff - no splashless, scents, or polymers. No Clorox or cloromax - no additives). Add about a half a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine until you get your kit. That will add close to 5 ppm FC per day.

Please keep us posted. If you can send pictures of your pool now that would be great too. :)
Hello. I had a long thread history this spring but had to start a new thread.
He's been putting in 4 gallons of clorox a week and we've had no algae all summer. It's just recently there are no CL readings. I will be home in 3 weeks and will use the kit I have there. The question is what he should until I get home. I don't want things to get worse.
Is it a good idea to add those 4 gals of Clorox a week even if it doesn't register or is that a waste?
Thank you very much!

It looks like you have algae then, which is eating up your chlorine; especially if he is adding 4 gallons of bleach a week. With that said, I'm not sure if there is anything he can do, but to continue to add bleach. However, you said that your reading is "zero" regardless of how much bleech you add, so you'll may just need to wait and SLAM your pool when you come back. However, how does your pool look now? Is it green or what (Have him take a pic of it)? If it's clear right now and the reading is just showing zero, you may want to keep adding bleach so that your algae doesn't get worse or grow out of control.

Then he should continue adding bleach, as he has been doing, until you get back. Once you have your kit with you, take your own readings using the TF-100 (Readings for FC, CC, CYA, TA, CH, pH) and post you readings on this forum. In the mean time, keep adding bleach in your pool.

That will be my plan. Thanks very much.
I have a vinyl liner, so draining is not an option. I did replace 2/3 of the water before I left in May and that worked to bring the CYA down. I haven't used a tablet since, which is why we are using Clorox. In Mexico, it does not appear to have the unwanted additives.
I will post my test result when I am back mid-October.
Thanks for your time and support on this!

Reactions: Mendy48
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.