Very hard water and plate scale

Our outside tap water from the city is very hard. About 25 grain/ ~500 ppm. Here’s what the plates look like after only 10 weeks. Most of it crumbled off. I used some diluted vinegar to get rest.
Other than draining and using water from inside that is “softened”, I’m assuming I’ll need to clean the plates evenly 4-6 weeks. Any other ideas ?

pH from tap is also very high, into the 9s. I’ve been bringing it down over the past few days. I’m also finishing a SLAM and half way through the OCLT test.

My TF-100 was delivered today.

==========================================
Bruski
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 4400 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 32.0 (4 hours ago)
CC: 0.5 (4 hours ago)
pH: 7.6 (4 hours ago)
TA: 200 (4 hours ago)
CH: 500 (4 hours ago)
CYA: 60 (4 hours ago)
SALT: 2500 (4 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 78° (4 hours ago)
CSI: 0.45 (4 hours ago)
==========================================

You need to keep the CSI between -0.3 and 0 to lower / prevent scaling in the cell. Likely by keeping your pH lower and maybe driving down the TA.

Use softened water to top off the pool if you can to slow the CH rise.

In a 4400 gallon pool, you can quickly replace about 50% of your pool water with softened water and your chemistry issues will be over permanently. No need to worry about csi. Simply use that softener.

Replacing water and then using softened water to top it off will certainly lower the rate at which the CH will rise. Of course with your high TA and if you allow the pH to get too high you will still encounter scaling in the cell. One way to easily confirm you will not have problems is to monitor the CSI that is auto calculated for you in PoolMath.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.