Vegasmom's Pool Build

JasonLion said:
I am very impressed with the spa spillover. Getting that much tile work perfectly level takes quite a bit of skill.

I agree... I wouldn't have thought that was possible... I only have a small 2-3' spill over from my spa to my pool and it noticeably starts from one side... when the pump is running at low speed and the filter is a little dirty, sometimes it doesn't create a nice laminar flow over the whole gap, and it's always on the same side.

EDIT: 200th post, and almost 10,000 views!!! We obviously can't get enough of your pool Vegasmom, please don't leave us!

Hey, I'm still here :-D No worries.

I wish we could swim right now. The weathers so weird, it got chilly today. No heater til Tuesday, so we'll have to wait.

Water temp right now has got to be 60, it's freezing. Hubby is up and walking around so we were just outside and the dog is cracking us up! We can tell he wants to go in, but he won't until we do. I know he remembers our last house and pool but he's confused about this one, LOL! He drops his ball in to see what it does. So funny.

Thanks, everybody!

VM, Congratulations on your beautiful pool. It's not only tiring for you with all those hassle but us following you. But at the end of the day, what a sense of satisfaction with the final result.

On your proposed maintenance, I understand your woes. I'm out of my house 12 hrs a day 6 days a week, but I still do my own maintenance, not only my pool but I'm the builder, DIY, landscapper, gardener (anything outside the house) because I trust myself best. So the only serious thing you got to watch your pool guy is not the pool condition but what he put in. Money is one thing but too much of unnecessary chemical is bad for everything including and most importantly, human.

Who'll be the first to jump in? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vegasmom said:
Tres, those things sitting on the wall are the code fire appliances. They'll be switching them out for fire rings and we'll put glass in there. We have the 2 auto ig. fire pots, and the fire pit in the sunken area. Gas co. is coming out Tues. to bring a larger meter.
The stainless bar on the middle wall is a rain waterfall. I've yet to see it turned on but it should look very nice. I've seen too many pics of sheers when the wind blows (which it seems to endlessly here) and it splits the water. I thought the rain would look nice and not be as much of a problem in the wind.

WOW that sounds really cool! I didn't realize those were firepots, that is going to look amazing!! Can't wait to see pics of everything up and running!

Too funny about the dog!

I'm surprised the water is that cold, but it does get nippy at night in Vegas doesn't it? Our water is holding steady at 80 and it feels really good. We're swimming almost every evening.

I'm not so good with multiple quotes....

Vincent, tiring is a good word, yes. It will be really nice when we can just relax and enjoy it :-D I agree with you about doing things yourself. I know what you mean. Whoever we hire for the pool we will be very informed as to whats going in. Myself and my children are chemically sensitive, there have been times when we've swam in other's pools and had bad skin reactions. I know, another reason to do it ourselves, lol...we'll see. First to jump in? Probably the youngest girl, followed by the dog! Or we could try a group cannonball but hubby may not be ready just yet :wink:

Hotrod, it's been a heck of a ride...but it was worth it.

Tres, last week it was over 100F, then the winds came and brought with it cooler weather. It's in the 60's at night and low 70's now. Supposed to rain (going to nephew's graduation and it's outside!) I'm sure by the end of next week it'll be back up then I'll be throwing ice in the pool, LOL...

I'm looking forward to seeing it at night with the lights on and seeing the waterfall. I think they're bringing our remotes and stuff today. Getting our instructions, etc. They're here now working on the leak.

Thanks again, all!

Thanks, Plankton! He is doing much better.

PB has a couple things to work out. The waterfall isn't falling where it's supposed to. They've plugged some of the holes that aim back towards the wall, but it's flowing into those niches with amazing force. Not the intended result but they said to bear with them and they'll try and fine tune it.

We turned on the lights last night and it looks great, but after about an hour, one of the pool lights would no longer rotate color. I've heard sometimes the SAM color lights will get out of sync, this one is stuck on the white light. It sure looks nice on the blue and blue violet, though.

We won't have our remote or gas hookup til next week. I'll post final pics of everything in a few weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just read this whole thread and sorry for all the things that you had to go through to get to the final stage. Your pool is beautiful and I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it because you soooo deserve it.

BTW I thought those kind of things only happened to me. I always here but that doesn't ever happen. Welcome to my world.

Hi Tres, yessss we've been swimming and really enjoying the pool, aside from the kids having some skin issues and yesterday one girl had what my b.i.l. calls 'pool toe'. Never heard of this but they started to bleed. It's been tough to get them out of the water. I've been reading in the other forums and am thinking about ordering the test kit. I think the Ph is rising (new plaster, waterfalls, SWG..is it a losing battle?) and that's what is causing their skin trouble. I lube them up after they swim with Vasoline..it's the only thing that doesn't burn.

Aside from that, it's great but still not 100% done. Landscapers are finishing up today and tomorrow..they got way behind schedule and took awhile to get back to us. I'll have some pics probably tomorrow. PB still has not brought out our fire rings ??? Why it's taken this long is beyond me but I'm not surprised. Still no word on what they're going to do to the waterfall. There really is no fix because the fabricators drilled the holes poorly. The water goes in diff. directions instead of straight down. They've tried plugging holes, filing them, etc. and nothing has worked. They said they'll redo it if need be, so...we'll see.

dd50..thanks for your comments :) Sorry I didn't reply..figured I'd let this thread fall back a few and post completed pics in another forum. Anyway, wishing the best to you..thanks again.

That's great to hear after everything you're finally able to SWIM!! :-D Sorry to hear of the skin problems, not sure what the issue may be with that. Salt pools are normally known for being good on the skin. It's possible you've got elevated PH with the new plaster and the water features, if you're still using the pool service then they should be keeping a close eye on the PH and adding muriatic acid as required. It may be needed ever 4 or 5 days until the plaster cures.

Didn't you mention a while back that you got a margarita machine? My wife got one for me for my b-day (Margaritaville) and we fired it up for a pool party last Saturday, man that thing is great!! Now I've got to fight the urge to make margaritas every night :p

We did just hire a service but they've been out of town since the 11th and won't be back until the 18th. I just did a test with the kit the PB gave us and everything was off. It needs acid but to be honest, I'm a little nervous about handling it. I know I need to get comfortable with it, just kind of stepping lightly into this. My DH wouldn't be thrilled..he knows how clutzy I am, LOL.

I hear you on the MM...I kept it on my kitchen counter for a week and used it every night! Put it away but broke it back out yesterday for FD :-D My stepmom turned me onto Agavero. Makes a really nice floater. :goodjob: One tip if you haven't already figured it out..you do need to let the ice sit in for a few because the one time I didn't, when I turned it on it vibrated so much it knocked the ice drain reservoir off and cracked it a little. But it's the coolest machine..your wife and my hubby rock! Happy B-day!

You should get the PH down soon. If you are uncomfortable with muriatic acid get some dry acid, which is much easier to handle. If the PH gets too high you can have calcium scaling, which will ruin the finish on the pool surface.

Hey, where'd the site go today? Anyway, Thanks, guys. I'll get some dry acid tomorrow and some conditioner. I don't think they added any CYA. My husband is already aggravated with the pool service. He's been here 2 times but we've already received a bill for June, AND July. Geez, it's not even here yet! And he didn't mention he was going out of town so nothing has been added to the pool since he was here on the 6th. I will most likely be taking things in my own hands very soon.

Regarding the finish, we're in talks with PB to come look at the plaster at night. If I could get my camera to take a decent night shot I'd post it here. It's definitely not right and it's not from scaling because it was like this right after they plastered. There are gouges and rough spots everywhere. Plaster co. came during the day a few weeks ago and sanded but it did nothing.

We've been placated by the fact we have water and have been swimming, but they are still dragging their feet with finishing up and making things right.

Vegasmom said:
Hey, where'd the site go today? Anyway, Thanks, guys. I'll get some dry acid tomorrow and some conditioner. I don't think they added any CYA. My husband is already aggravated with the pool service. He's been here 2 times but we've already received a bill for June, AND July. Geez, it's not even here yet! And he didn't mention he was going out of town so nothing has been added to the pool since he was here on the 6th. I will most likely be taking things in my own hands very soon.

Regarding the finish, we're in talks with PB to come look at the plaster at night. If I could get my camera to take a decent night shot I'd post it here. It's definitely not right and it's not from scaling because it was like this right after they plastered. There are gouges and rough spots everywhere. Plaster co. came during the day a few weeks ago and sanded but it did nothing.

We've been placated by the fact we have water and have been swimming, but they are still dragging their feet with finishing up and making things right.
Also invest in a GOOD testkit like the TF100 or Taylor K-2006. It will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

Most digital cameras can take very nice shots at night. Just turn the flash off and use a tripod or set the camera on something solid. I've taken lots off beautiful pictures around Vegas like this.

I'm not doubting you have a problem but any surface when illuminated at a low angle will look rough because surface irregularities cast long shawdows at low angles. Is that a run on? I'm an engineer not an English major.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.