Vegas OB! Just got plans back and need some feedback (pics included :) )

Ok Will, I measured how far out the bottom lip or ledge of my spillway hangs out from the spa wall. Between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". Not much at all. I have a 2 speed pump. When on high, the water drops nicely. On low speed, the water mostly wraps under the ledge and then down. I think you're going to want that bottom tier to hang out a little more.

Someone posted (I can't find it) something about a groove under the front edge of the bottom tier to get a nice fall of water. But I really don't know the engineering behind that. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

I found your inspiration photo from early in your thread - not sure if it is still what you're wanting. It looks great to me. Remember to consider the bench that runs in front of the spa spillway. How far out can the bottom tier hang out and still be comfortable (go sit on the bench and test it), or is the waterfall more important than the bench and don't worry about how far it hangs out. If the guys doing the rock tiers know what they're doing, no worries. I would still want to be there watching to make sure. I TOLD my PB I wanted a waterfall - to him that just meant I wanted water coming out of the spa. They were not going to put my little ledge on the spillway. And when I told them how it could be done, they looked at me like I was an old crazy lady! I had to SHOW them with scraps. Then they got it.

Love the waterline tile! Ours was still in good shape and matched the existing flagstone so we left it in place but if I had gone for something new, it would have been a tile like that.

Do you have a finish picked out yet? We got a Wet Edge Prism Matrix, Level One, and I really like the texture-- not rough at all.

I do almost all the gardening around here.... nothing like trying to do that kind of work to make you appreciate the guys who do that all the time. It's very hard labor... I'm always amazed at the guys who do the roofing around here (we've had some hail storms the last few years, so almost every roof around has been replaced). Up on those roofs, some of which are steeply slanted, hauling around heavy pallets of shingles. I would fall off the dang roof!

Ok Will, I measured how far out the bottom lip or ledge of my spillway hangs out from the spa wall. Between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". Not much at all. I have a 2 speed pump. When on high, the water drops nicely. On low speed, the water mostly wraps under the ledge and then down. I think you're going to want that bottom tier to hang out a little more.

Someone posted (I can't find it) something about a groove under the front edge of the bottom tier to get a nice fall of water. But I really don't know the engineering behind that. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

Thanks for the info Suz, I just had the tile setter redo my spa tile and he took off the second line so we can do the lip so Kim was right lol.
I'm not sure I follow you about the grove but it sounds interesting so I will do some Google searching unless one of our awesome members chimes in. I definitely want a rushing water effect so anything I can do to enhance that I'm in.
I'm also going to measure the bench cause I did think about that and I would still like to use the bench
So many details "sigh"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the waterline tile! Ours was still in good shape and matched the existing flagstone so we left it in place but if I had gone for something new, it would have been a tile like that.

Do you have a finish picked out yet? We got a Wet Edge Prism Matrix, Level One, and I really like the texture-- not rough at all.

I do almost all the gardening around here.... nothing like trying to do that kind of work to make you appreciate the guys who do that all the time. It's very hard labor... I'm always amazed at the guys who do the roofing around here (we've had some hail storms the last few years, so almost every roof around has been replaced). Up on those roofs, some of which are steeply slanted, hauling around heavy pallets of shingles. I would fall off the dang roof!

We are doing a mini pebble but to be honest I can't remember if it's wet edge or stonescapes. It will have glass beads ( Puerto Rico blend) for the Bling Queen :). I want to go with the least abrasive mini pebble but from what I understand it's all about the install. I have the best guy in town and he cares so I'm sure it will come out great.
The next great debate will be coming shortly and that will be about the color lol. The wife wants light blue and I want dark blue so we will settle on a medium. I want to get a true blue and stay away from greens if possible. So I'm open to any suggestions and pictures. I have seen slate blue and really like it but I'm also ok with 1 shade darker

Gloves and rent a trencher! That looks like it was exhausting. It sucks to dig a trench here in FL and our ground is soft! Those pavers would have torn up my hands too and I am used to manual labor (have horses at home so I have calluses on my hands from shoveling manure, leveling dirt, moving 55# bales of hay, etc) but I hate digging!

Gloves and rent a trencher! That looks like it was exhausting. It sucks to dig a trench here in FL and our ground is soft! Those pavers would have torn up my hands too and I am used to manual labor (have horses at home so I have calluses on my hands from shoveling manure, leveling dirt, moving 55# bales of hay, etc) but I hate digging!

It was a lot of work and my poor hands are still bruised and to make matters worse my wife made me tear out some carpet and lay new flooring this weekend lol

So an update stone work is starting today so my raised BB should be done today or tomorrow then they will start on the spa spillway.

I could use some help though.... we are going with a stonescapes mini pebble and can't decide on a color. We want a vibrant medium blue and we will do glass beads (will try to only do blue, clear, and black beads ). Can anyone recommend a color for stonescapes or post a pic of there pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BB is bond beam? BTW good choice on the travertine; I spent a summer with travertine coping samples out by our pool and they have a special geological property (along with limestone) that makes them significantly cooler than other materials, crucial when it's 100! OK, let's get your color picked out. Which of these types are you looking at? .

StoneScapes MiniPebbles
zm01eg-1.jpg

StoneScapes Touch of Glass
30mli0o-1.png

StoneScapes Puerto Rico Blend
ixwnjt-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5758.jpg
    IMG_5758.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_5759.jpg
    IMG_5759.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_5760.jpg
    IMG_5760.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 346
Kpag,
Correct BB is bondbeam . We are also very happy about the travertine and can't wait until it's laid down.
We are thinking tropics blue with glass. what confuses me is there is different types (puerto Rico and touch of glass) of the blues so I don't understand what the difference is. I just want a vibrant medium blue pool with some bling to it and of course mini pebble.
I actually love the color to the right of the pictures you posted , it is a very pretty blue. Also the wife doesn't want any green [emoji51]

Here are the words from their web site:

Puerto Rico-
Petite iridescent glass beads give these exclusive mixtures their own special sparkle. From a delicate dusting with a single bag of beads to a bolder blend with two or three bags, StoneScapes Puerto Rico Blends will transport you to your own island paradise.
Web site link to see this one: StoneScapes® Puerto Rico Blend | National Pool Tile Group

Touch of Glass-
Add pizzazz to your pebble pool finish with a Touch of Glass! These unique StoneScapes® finishes are accented with sparkling glass beads. From a subtle sprinkling, to an equal measure of pebble and glass beads, our exclusive StoneScapes® Touch of Glass recipes can give your pool the precise look and feel you desire.
Web site link: Stonescapes® Touch of Glass | National Pool Tile Group

See if your plaster people could send you to feel each one. Looking the them the biggest difference I see is the size of the beads. I wonder how that affects the feel of the plaster?

I love the color you picked in Tropics blue.

Kim:kim:

Kim
I will be definitely asking him to look at some pools as soon as my schedule frees up in a few weeks. Call me crazy but I read both descriptions of the beads and they sound exactly alike :/.
I was hoping someone with the finish with some beads will chime in....... if not I was thinking about making a new thread and seeing what comes about just based on the finish and color and texture

BTW....I am keeping a close eye on this one. We need to make a final decision this week. We are leaning towards Midnight Blue mini pebble but I like the idea of a smoother glass. Especially for the spa. We are going for a darker blue. Thanks Will

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

So some stone work was completed and we are very happy the way it's coming out

I think they will finish the stone today then move on to the spa stacked stone spillway next which what I'm really looking forward too

Looking forward to seeing the spillway. I was so close to doing something similar and then chickened out. Your builder is doing a great job with the subs and keeping on track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yep Will, love the stone too, looks like I am going to be copying everything you do!!! :D
We hit a couple of tile/stone spots in Vegas the other day, now have almost too many choices!

Can't wait to get started...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.