Variations in testing

E Murph

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2016
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Hello,
i just opened my pool a few days ago and this is my third season with TFP. It was perfect when I opened it. Looked clear and water was balanced and still had chlorine.
I ordered some new testing chemicals through your website. I have a Taylor K-2006 kit.
My concern is when I use the old testing chemicals which are still not expired or expire this month I get one reading. When I use the new chemicals I get quite a different result.
TA old 80. New 130
CH old 325 new 425
my FC is 5
ph is 7.6
cya is 40
temp is 63.
I never had a reading as high as these before.
What is causing this?
For TA I have new R007 and R009 I had plenty of good R008
for CH I have new R0010,11 and 12

thanks for any help here!

The high TA could well be static electricity on the tip, which makes smaller drops, so you need more, so it reads higher than reality. It happens sometimes with a fresh bottle of R-009. Just wipe the tip with a damp paper towel before each drop for a couple days and it will go away.

No idea why CH changes. Sorry.

+1 what Richard 320 said. TA variance is a result of new reagent. Wipe the dropper tip to reduce static electricity....it will go away in a few weeks and then test as normal. I would think your older reagent would be more accurate in this case.

I have no idea on the CH.....don't think we have had that one before.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible that the CH is 425? I’ve never had a reading that high and I replaced 1/3 of my water this spring like I do every spring with water from the same source. I think i will try testing with the old reagents and one new one switching out each new one on different tests and see if I can narrow down which one is causing the variation. I find it hard to believe there’s something wrong with the reagents? Thanks again

My fill water was delivered by truck for a local spring. I can’t test it. Good idea for next year I’ll capture some of the fill water seperatly. Good idea.
The TA has come down to 90 after wiping the tip. Great to know!! Within 10 so I’m comfortable with that.
I’ve run several tests with different combinations of old and new. It seems it’s the new R-0012 that’s causing the variation. If I use new 10&11 with old 12 I get 300. If I use old 10&11 with new 12 I get 400.
Not sure what to do at this point? The old R-0012 has an expiration date of 4/18 and the 300 reading is in line with what I’ve had for the last three years since I learned this system. Maybe I should get another new R-0012 to see what happens?

Glad the TA is back in line.
As far as the CH-the 12 is fresh. Make sure you hold the bottle vertical and let the drop form on its on-you don’t have to squeeze much at all. I’ll PM you. Also, the standards are a great way to test your testing method and/or your reagents. Standard Solutions

Great idea. Didn’t know such a thing existed. Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.