Variable Speed Pump

May 19, 2016
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just about to set up my schedule for the season on my variable speed pump and was wondering how others set up their pumps, and why? I can set up a schedule with 1 to 3 sessions per 24 hours at variable speeds up to 3600 rpm.

Any suggestions to consider would be great. Thanks for your input.

Steve

Your main decision is how long do you need to run the pump to skim the surface. Within that time frame is when you should add your liquid chlorine.
You can test what RPM is need to skim. Start at 1200 rpm. If that does not satisfy your skimming needs, increase it 100-200 rpm in steps until you see the skimming performance you wish.

Thanks. What about maintaining heat? It’s doesn’t usually get consistently above 80 here until July. I like, or I should say my wife likes the pool at about 80 before she’ll even dip a toe. Any advise on maintaining the heat?
Trying to use as little electricity and natural gas as possible.

All and any helpful tips welcome.
Steve

To retain heat, first is to cover the pool with a solar bubble cover or similar. If you do not cover the pool, heating it is difficult and expensive.
Otherwise, you would need to schedule your pump to run at sufficient RPM to operate your heater when you wish it to run.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I do have the bubble cover, it’s the discipline to use it. Lol.

I am wondering if running the pump over night is more likely to maintain the heat? Electricity is cheapest from 11 pm to 7 am.

also as an aside... does a bubble cover help with water evaporation?

Is your heater gas or electric?
With your VS pump, electrical cost is not much to run it. At what RPM does your pump need to be to run the heater?

Bubble cover dramatically reduces evaporation. Evaporation is what reduces the pool water temperature.

My heater is gas. I’ve never tested the lower threshold of RPM on what the heater needs to run but have had it as low as 1300 and the heater runs. I’ll see if the manual mentions anything about that and will test it once I turn my heater on in a few weeks.

The heater manual of course speaks in Gallons Per Minute as opposed to the RPM of the pump. It requires a minimum of 35 GPM. There is a chart in my pump manual that has an axis versus volume in GPM, which is Total Dynamic Head in FT of Water. See attached pic. What is Total Dynamic Head in Ft of Water mean?11241007-CF4A-4A1C-AC65-BB4D53C0C31B.jpeg

Pressure loss. But it is variable with the speed of the water and your filter and your plumbing and .............

Does not matter. Just run the pump rpm high enough to satisfy the heater pressure switch.

boy,

Just reduce the RPM until the heater shows low flow/pressure.. Then slowly bring it up until the heater works, then add 100 or 200 RPM and that is where to run it when you want the heater to work.

The graph shows the theoretical GPM, you need to experiment to see what works for your heater and how your plumbing works for your specific pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.