Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My wife and I just purchased a home over a month ago with an inground 16x36 pool (approx. 25,000 gallons). The old owner had the older, single-speed pool pump running for 12 hours per day, and I left it since the water looked good and chemistry came back pretty good every week.

But then the power bill came and it was $500! I know there are other areas where the power can get high (HVAC in the summer heat, etc.), but even my electrician said the pool pump is a huge power draw. He recommended a variable speed pump, along with a good friend who is a TFP member.

I found this Hayward model on Amazon (click here). Is this not only a reasonable price, but a good pump?

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Most on TFP consider the Pentair Intelliflo the “gold standard“ for VS pumps. I’ve had one for several years and if it dies today, I’ll buy another.

So there are a couple things you could do... I am not sure what size pump you have now, if you also add that to your sig it would help..

1. replace the 1 speed motor with a V green VSP, you just have to know if your pump is a round or square flange.. They have the 1.65 and the 2.7 hp motors...
2. get the 1.65 Hayward pump
3. get the 2.7 hp for more power when needed...

If you get the V green remember to get the pump seal kit with it... Like this one *** (make sure it is the one for your pump) Aladdin Tune Up Kit Pentair SuperFlo/Sta-Rite SuperMax - GOKIT78 - INYOPools.com
I just bought the 1.65 V Green motor to replace my 2 speed... :)

I also reccomend the Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump Model 022005. I bought mine in 2012 and the first month I saved $150 on my electric bill. It has worked flawlessly and I woould get another one if this one got to a pont of no repair. I've only had to replace normal wear and tear parts on it like the lid and drain port seals. Other than that it is set and forget it.

Just to add a thought: I use a standard cheap 3-phase pump (a hayward superpump clone) that cost Eur320. I've added a cheap VFD/inverter to make 3-phase from monophase (Eur90) and now have a fully managed variable speed pump.

I've found that 15Hz takes about 200W and turns the water over adequately. The bonus is that the VFD is fully controllable remotely with a few $ of kit. So total cost of Eur410 when compared with a 'standard' VF pump in Europe which would be north of Eur800.

My wife and I just purchased a home over a month ago with an inground 16x36 pool (approx. 25,000 gallons). The old owner had the older, single-speed pool pump running for 12 hours per day, and I left it since the water looked good and chemistry came back pretty good every week.

But then the power bill came and it was $500! I know there are other areas where the power can get high (HVAC in the summer heat, etc.), but even my electrician said the pool pump is a huge power draw. He recommended a variable speed pump, along with a good friend who is a TFP member.

I found this Hayward model on Amazon (click here). Is this not only a reasonable price, but a good pump?

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

I suspect your pump isn’t costing as much to run as you think. We’re in the same area and running our single speed pump (1hp Hayward Superpump) 12hrs a day adds about $35 to our monthly power bill.

We did have the hottest July on record by a large margin; maybe related to your big power bill?

Just to add a thought: I use a standard cheap 3-phase pump (a hayward superpump clone) that cost Eur320. I've added a cheap VFD/inverter to make 3-phase from monophase (Eur90) and now have a fully managed variable speed pump.

I've found that 15Hz takes about 200W and turns the water over adequately. The bonus is that the VFD is fully controllable remotely with a few $ of kit. So total cost of Eur410 when compared with a 'standard' VF pump in Europe which would be north of Eur800.

Got any links to the VFD/inverter you purchased ?

sure

I've bought two so far (the first one let out the magic smoke last week after being doused in water following the injudicious placement of the backwash hose).

On Amazon they were both the same listing. however when one arrived it was badged XSY-AT1 and the second was YL600. the circuit boards look identical although a couple of caps have different safety ratings. The firmware is different though. the second one (YL600) has two modbus ports but the display is very confusing and I cannot get it accurately to display amps or to display revs at all. the first one had no modbus but gave clearer information on the screen. both can be managed remotely (I hooked them up to a temporary controller using an esp32 chip on a circuit board I designed to manage an underfloor heating manifold); and neatly the ESP32 has wifi on board, of course, and draws well under 150mA so can be powered directly from the exposed power pins on the VFD.

Amazon link (in France since that's where I'm based): MYSWEETY VFD Inverter convertisseur de fréquence 2,2 KW 3HP 220 V 12 A pour axe Moteur de contrôle de Vitesse (Vfd-2.2kw) ¡: Amazon.fr: Auto et Moto

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sure

I've bought two so far (the first one let out the magic smoke last week after being doused in water following the injudicious placement of the backwash hose).

On Amazon they were both the same listing. however when one arrived it was badged XSY-AT1 and the second was YL600. the circuit boards look identical although a couple of caps have different safety ratings. The firmware is different though. the second one (YL600) has two modbus ports but the display is very confusing and I cannot get it accurately to display amps or to display revs at all. the first one had no modbus but gave clearer information on the screen. both can be managed remotely (I hooked them up to a temporary controller using an esp32 chip on a circuit board I designed to manage an underfloor heating manifold); and neatly the ESP32 has wifi on board, of course, and draws well under 150mA so can be powered directly from the exposed power pins on the VFD.

Amazon link (in France since that's where I'm based): MYSWEETY VFD Inverter convertisseur de fréquence 2,2 KW 3HP 220 V 12 A pour axe Moteur de contrôle de Vitesse (Vfd-2.2kw) ¡: Amazon.fr: Auto et Moto

Thanks - my current pump is single phase single speed pump, I just ordered a variable speed pump that will be delivered in a couple of weeks. But if my existing pump had been 3 phase, this would have been a good alternative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.