Variable Speed Pump Questions

Dalandlord

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2011
My 1.50 HP Challenger Pump gave up the ghost so I need a new pump ASAP. I had looked around about 6 months ago and the consensus seemed to be the Pentair VS pumps were the pumps of choice. I have a few questions:

1. Has anything changed in the market or is Pentair still the pumps of choice? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. I had read someplace that in 2018 Pentair came out with a model 011028 that was a 011018 with and updated drive unit. That said although Pentair lists a 011028 in their warranty list, I don't see a 011028 listed for sale anyplace. I am just thinking it would be better to buy the current model instead of one that is being discontinued. Does anyone know anything about a 011028?

3. Does anyone know what Pentair models have the rotatable and relocatable control panel? If it's reasonable I would be interested, but not if I have to jump up to some several hundred dollar higher model. I am surprised by now they aren't WiFi enabled where we can just use a phone app.

4. Is there a preferred pump dealer that gives members a good price like for the pool cleaners?

I am thinking the models that do the automatic adjustments or shutdown upon detection of certain conditions sound like inviting trouble. Any thoughts on that or anything else I should be considering or doing in making this change feel free to chime in.

Thanks

Da,

You may have seen this, but just in case... Pentair IntelliFlo Review

I believe the IntelliFlo pumps are the Gold Standard of pool pumps..

My only warning would to make sure you NEVER buy one with the SVRS option... In theory it is designed to shut off if someone becomes trapped on the main drain.. in practice it shuts off if your neighbor just flushes his commode.. :) Well, almost anyway.. Stay well away from any SVRS pumps.

I personally like the VS pumps and not the VF pumps...

Depending on the price I would buy the VST, which is a newer VS pump with the rotatable head, over the latest VSF, which has both the VS and VF in one pump. I like simple over complex.. the VSF also has the rotatable control head.

All that said... the more I read here, the more I believe that without an automation system, it is probably better to buy a 2-speed pump over any VS pump. Without an automation system it is harder to sync them to run with a salt system, and you can't easily use all their features.. Hard to beat a timer, and 2-speed pump, for reliability and cost.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Da,

You may have seen this, but just in case... Pentair IntelliFlo Review

I believe the IntelliFlo pumps are the Gold Standard of pool pumps..

My only warning would to make sure you NEVER buy one with the SVRS option... In theory it is designed to shut off if someone becomes trapped on the main drain.. in practice it shuts off if your neighbor just flushes his commode.. :) Well, almost anyway.. Stay well away from any SVRS pumps.

I personally like the VS pumps and not the VF pumps...

Depending on the price I would buy the VST, which is a newer VS pump with the rotatable head, over the latest VSF, which has both the VS and VF in one pump. I like simple over complex.. the VSF also has the rotatable control head.

All that said... the more I read here, the more I believe that without an automation system, it is probably better to buy a 2-speed pump over any VS pump. Without an automation system it is harder to sync them to run with a salt system, and you can't easily use all their features.. Hard to beat a timer, and 2-speed pump, for reliability and cost.

Thanks,

Jim R.
GPM
Thanks Jim, Deep down I am a KISS method kind of guy at heart but I figure I will go with a variable speed because I get a $300 Energy Star rebate for buying one.

You brought up using one with a SWG. I have the autopilot which the specs say needs 20 GPM flow to work. Before you mentioned them, I had no knowledge of the VF pumps . The idea that the VF or VSF can be set to 20 GPM and let run 16 hours a day and turn the pool over almost two times in a day sounds pretty good. But it looks like those models as well as the VST are "Trade Grade" models that as best I can tell would have to be purchased from a Brick and Mortar Store and be installed by a Pentair authorized dealer to have any more than a 60 Day warranty. It looks like the only ones that are not Trade Grade are the VS Models. Pentair was closed when I tried calling back today to verify who had to install the Trade Grade.

When I called a couple of days ago they told me the VS could be installed by any qualified installer which included a Licensed Plumber, or Licensed Electrician, Licensed Landscape Professional or even a Licensed Home Repair person.
I couldn't image my landscaper doing a pump installation. I have a couple of plumbers that will do it for little or nothing so I should be ok there.

If you or anyone else knows of a VS model with the rotating or remote mountable controller please let me know. If not it looks like I'll be going with the intelliflo 011018. Amazon has it for right at $900 and it is offering me a 4 year Assurion Warranty for about $30. Does that $30 sound right to any of you guys? It sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks

Da,

The VST can be bought on the web and has a rotatable control panel.

There is zero need to worry about flow rates... You just slowly increase the speed until the flow switch closes on the SWCG and then add 100 RPM for insurance.

For me that is about 1200 RPM... If you have a heater, it will be more like 1500 RPM.. I could not care less about what the actual flow is.. it just does not matter.

And... the idea that you have to have x turn overs per day is just a myth.. It is not at all true. Chemicals keep your pool sanitized and clear, not the number of times the water passes through the filter. The filter is just there to capture the stuff that falls into your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just a side note on the intelliflo pumps if you purchase through a qualified technician or pool contractor your warranty will much better then if you buy yourself online. As far as amazon having a warranty add on I would not risk it. Also if you install pump yourself make sure to use 2” high temp fittings They thread right in there and use some kind of thread tape. I install intelliflo vs and vsf pumps everyday and they are the best thing out there. I agree with above about the vs being better. You could always opt for the superflo vs. which is a lot less and will still save you on electricity etc.

I agree...

They are called pump unions and it should be illegal to install a pump without them... :)

They look like this and have an O-ring between the body of the pump and the threaded end. The O-Ring prevents the leaks that you so often see a couple of years after a pump have been installed with just a threaded piece of PVC... You can see the O-Ring in the link below ...

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Hi-Temp...1549548670&sr=8-3&keywords=pentair+pump+union

Thanks,

Jim R.

The problem with the Amazon warranty is how it will be handled. When your pump fails you need to get it fixed ASAP before your pool turns into a swamp. These 3rd party warranty require a lot of paperwork. Documenting that the manufacturers warranty is no longer valid. Then they decide if they repair or replace the item. I don’t think you can just email Amazon and state the pump failed and a new one will be on your doorstep the next day.

The most common cause of failure in VS pumps is power surge damage to the drive unit. Always add whole house type surge protection for a VS pump. When I installed my VS pump, I actually added two. One at my main service panel and a smaller one protecting my pool sub panel. A VS pump is a high powered electric motor with
some fairly sensitive electronic components in a control/drive unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chief,

I'm looking to upgrade from a single speed pump to a VS of some sort pretty soon. I have a lot of power issues in my neighborhood so I would think surge protection at the panel would be a good idea. Do you have an example of the one you used?

The following is a quote from a previous posting.
chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Aug 25, 2017

I recommend surge protection. When I put in my VS pump, I actually installed two "whole house" type surge protectors. I put a larger one (Eaton Ultra) at my main service panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AQAKRSS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed a smaller Square D unit directly on my pump panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052DMIUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I happened to have an open breaker in my main panel, so there was no additional cost for that. My total cost for both was less than $125 and a couple hours of my time for the install.

A VS pump is, in reality, a computer directly connected to, and controlling a high powered electrical motor, placed outdoors and powered through a long feed line. Gee, what could go wrong there? Almost every VS pump failure we have seen was caused by "failure of the control/drive unit". In other words a power surge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.