BrantlyJ

Jul 11, 2021
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New pool and we got a Pentair SuperFlo VST pump.
Our installer set it up at 1925 rpm and said to just let it run there 24/7. I’m thinking that defeats the purpose of having VS!
So what would be the best program to run. We do have a heat pump and it shuts down due to low flow at about 1500 rpm, but I can bump it up to 1500 to get maximum heat transfer if it’s programmed lower.
We use BioGaurd sticks in the skimmer basket if it matters.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
First, do not put trichlor in your skimmer. It can easily damage your liner, pump, heater, etc.
As far as pump speeds, you run the pump for a purpose. The speed and length of run time is to create or distribute your chlorine, skim the surface, and heat the water. So you need to decide all of those factors and what speed and run time is needed to achieve them.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

How does trichlor damage all the things? In what way?
My wife is a CPO so she is responsible for keeping the levels where they need to be.
If only she could buy our chemicals direct from her bulk supplier.
Unfortunately she is down and out due to chemo and radiation treatments for cancer so I’m pinch hitting. She was dead set against a salt system and everyone I have talked to that had salt hated it and changed to chlorine. 🤷‍♂️

How does trichlor damage all the things? In what way?

If one runs their pool pump 24/7, then adding trichlor to the skimmer has less effect. If one has the pump off, then that trichlor creates a very acidic stew in the skimmer, damaging the plastic of the skimmer, the liner (as seen in the thread above), the seals in the pump, and the heater core if you have one.

Good luck.

I , like many, many others on TFP, are using a Salt Water Generation system. My pool has been a salt pool from its first day in 2005. Salt cells are a consumable item. My experience has been an average life span of around 7 years. Based on replacement cost of cells, my operating cost for chlorine production is less than $100 per year in a 20k pool that is open year round. SWG works great, if you maintain proper water chemistry, and it can cost less than any other way of chlorinating a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.