Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
Hi, we have a 2.5yr old in ground salt water pool. 20x38. we have a variable rate pump, which is functioning fine at the higher speeds (2800, 2400), but when it drops down to the 1600 rate that its preset at, we lose flow to the SWG. This hasn't happened before. The filter pressure is good (10) so im not sure that's the problem. I cleaned out the pump basket, and felt the propeller and couldn't feel anything on it, but not sure what beyond that im supposed to be doing. Water level is great. Other than turning up my lowest rate on the pump, any next steps? thanks

Welcome to TFP! :shark:

Do you know your clean filter pressure?

It may be the filter gauge is bad.
It may be that you have algae (yes, even with clear water).
It may be that your flow sensor is bad.

Does your filter pressure gauge go to 0 when pump is off?
How are you testing your chemicals (what test kit do you have)?
Can you post a full set of results from your testing?
Can you fill out your signature so we know what equipment we are dealing with? Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Welcome to TFP! :shark:

Do you know your clean filter pressure?

It may be the filter gauge is bad.
It may be that you have algae (yes, even with clear water).
It may be that your flow sensor is bad.

Does your filter pressure gauge go to 0 when pump is off?
How are you testing your chemicals (what test kit do you have)?
Can you post a full set of results from your testing?
Can you fill out your signature so we know what equipment we are dealing with? Create Your Signature - Further Reading
filter pressure goes to 0 when off. And its pretty consistently been about 8-10 at lower speeds, 12 at higher speeds.
I am not sure how I would know if there is algae-our chlorine levels have actually been a little high since opening and initial shock 3 weeks ago
I am bringing in a formal water sample tomorrow for testing, but I have been using boring old test strips-the aquatek

will work on signature tomorrow morning. appreciate you providing initial thoughts in the absence of more details!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

In addition to what @PoolStored mentioned....
When was the filter last cleaned?

We don't put much credence in pool store testing. It's inaccurate and not repeatable.
Have a read thru Pool Care Basics
OK then I guess I'll be happy my test strips look OK for now while I figure out testing altho may need a slight pH adjustment.

I cleaned them in the fall right before we closed. Is it typical that they need to be cleaned even when pressure isn't elevated? Or maybe that's just inaccurate measurements

Test strips are just as bad as pool store tests.
Get one of the recommended test kits.
The TF-100 Salt or TF-Pro Salt will serve you well.

As for your flow issue, it could be a lot of things, but without accurate test results it's almost impossible to know.

Test strips are just as bad as pool store tests.
Get one of the recommended test kits.
The TF-100 Salt or TF-Pro Salt will serve you well.

As for your flow issue, it could be a lot of things, but without accurate test results it's almost impossible to know.
Thanks. I had assumed flow issues would be related to physical type blockages and not chemical imbalances just based on basic physics, but can see how significant abnormalities in water chemicals could impede flow enough thru a salt water generator

While you are waiting on your test kit to be delivered...
  • Open the filter and remove the elements. Leave the elements out, close the filter and run the pump to see if the filter elememts are the issue.
  • Remove the SWG and check that it isn't plugged with scale or an foreign objects.
  • Verify all winterization plugs were removed.

Reactions: clbielick
Check that the directional arrow on the flow switch for the SWCG is aligned with the water flow, I had the same problem, my flow switch wasn't closing at the normal speed that I ran at (1600 rpm). A quarter-turn of the flow switch to align the arrow with the flow fixed the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cl,

Do you have a heater???

Is this the same pump you have always had??

If the pump and SWCG were working before, and are not working now, the most logical failure point is a dirty filter..

Could also be the flow switch.. They are basically just a thin metal switch that is in the water's path.. So they can get fatigued over time.

Thanks,

Jim R.