Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Total Control PPC4
Looking to upgrade my pool pump and then spa pump eventually, but had got me thinking as I am almost past my first year and first time owning a pool:

FREEZE PROTECTION:
Both pumps have freeze protection and will turn on when ambient temperatures drop below 36F. Has anyone laid out a cross-over piping to allow a single pump to circulate through all the piping? I kinda hate to see what my electric bill is gonna be this winter with the freeze pumps running both pumps for +10 hours a day and sometimes 24 hours as temperatures take a few dives....a combined 3.5 HP between the two pumps (of course haven't ran a clamp meter on it to verify the actual load).

SINGLE PUMP:
The single pump handling the piping brings another question, has anyone installed a single large main pump, variable speed of course, that would handle both the spa blowers and the heater/filter piping? I have a background in hydronic pump/boilers, but would like to hear real world trial of this. If this is doable and correct way of handling something like this, then I would tie this back to one of the consumer controllers to operate the heater, pump speeds, salt cell, lighting, and the air blower.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3364.jpg
    IMG_3364.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 14
V,

I'd say that most pool spa combos only have one pump.. So it certainly can be be done. At the same time there are plenty of pools/spas with a second pump for the spa jets. I suspect it has a lot to do with the number of jets and the amount of water they require.

Here is an example.. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/6d/31/386d3160de407cd3f2fefd2397501e44.gif

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a single 3HP pentair VS pump for my pool/spa, and a separate, also 3HP VS pump, for my water features. I'm curious as to how yours is plumbed, since the filter pump also goes through the heater, I would assume this most definitely would feed to the spa. Is the second pump just a booster pump to add more oomph to the spa jets?

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.