Jun 28, 2022
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi!

I checked various previous topics on the forum but thought I'd ask to get an opinion from the experts on the latest + ask some extra info regarding buying place/installation.

I have the pool in my signature (recently bought the house so old equipment that I haven't changed): 15000 gallons.

Currently pool has a 1.5 HP old pump (single-speed). It recently started leaking a little (and I see some bubbles at the jet) - and I'm not particularly handy :)

So, instead of paying to have it fixed, I think it makes sense to switch altogether to a variable-speed pump (VSP) to last me a while (current one will die sooner or later given its age).

My questions are:

1) What is considered a good VSP for my pool (15K gal)? I don't plan on further automating/connecting with other equipment. I just want it to have variable speeds, be quiet, and last a reasonable amount of time. So something like a Pentair Superflo VST? I saw this suggestion in other posts, is that still a good one for the use?

2) Regarding buying place: I realized by googling that many pool contractors don't install pumps one bought online. If that's the case, I'm limited to buying the pump and installation from same place. Do you have any input of Pinch a penny vs. Leslie's (or any other suggestion)? Looks like Pinch a penny is MORE expensive for the same pump (but about equal when running their 20% off later this week). They charge ~$200 for installation. I haven't asked Leslie's yet. I like to learn and do things myself typically (esp since I got the house), but in that case I don't want any mistake of mine to flood the house :p

EDIT: Oh, I forgot they mentioned an optional ~$50 for "programming" the pump. I guess that's for people who don't want to deal with it/cannot use the internet to program it themselves?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Currently pool has a 1.5 HP old pump (single-speed). It recently started leaking a little (and I see some bubbles at the jet)
Can you take some photos of your equipment pad so we can help you determine what you have?

The Superflo would be good replacement for a filtration pump and programming is not too hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: konstantinos
This may or may not be of interest, but the Inflation Reduction Act has a lot of energy-conservation tax credits and rebates, some of which are to be administered by the states (fed and state governments coordinating regulations for a new law???) You might see if you can find info, as there could be a tax credit for changing out your pump, but it won't be available until 2023. Lots of details that haven't been sorted out yet. I have an upstairs A/C with a failed compressor. Replacing the compressor looks pricey, but if I replace it with a heat pump I could end up with a whole new condenser unit for only a little more than the compressor replacement, after tax credits and rebates.

Aside from tax credits, I'm a variable speed pump fan. Pentair says running its VSF pump at 1/2 of full speed uses only 1/8 as much electricity, so even if you ran it at 1/2 speed for twice as long, you'd still use only 1/4 the power. I run my VSF pump at 1600 RPM (full speed is 3450) and besides energy efficient, it still has sufficient flow for the SWCG and it is very, very quiet. If the A/C is running about 25 feet away, you can't hear the pump at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guinness and BowserB!

Can you take some photos of your equipment pad so we can help you determine what you have?

Here are a couple; Not sure what it is, sticker on strainer is fainted completely and all I have is the motor details (googling it came up with different pump brands that use the motor, or so I understand :) ) - identifying it shouldn't matter though as I'm planning to change soon!

20221109_172019.jpg

20221108_110530.jpg

Looks like a Pentair Challenger. I would think a Pentair Superflo VS would be a good replacement. @1poolman1 any other recommendations?
If it is a simple pool, no special water features, no suction cleaner, a Superflo VS is a good choice. They are a medium-head pump and may not supply the performance needed if there are any special needs. That is a PacFab Challenger. In Florida, it may have been the "hi-flow" version (medium head) as opposed to the "hi-pressure" (high head) one. I understand they used a lot of the hi-flow ones there. No way of knowing, now that the sticker is gone and the motor changed, without looking at the impeller.

Last edited:
If it is a simple pool, no special water features, no suction cleaner, a Superflo VS is a good choice. They are a medium-head pump and may not supply the performance needed if there are any special needs. That is a PacFab Challenger. In Florida, it may have been the "hi-flow" version (medium head) as opposed to the "hi-pressure" (high head) one. I understand they used a lot of the hi-flow ones there. No way of knowing, now that the sticker is gone and the motor changed, without looking at the impeller.
poolman, what's your thought on increasing the size of the VSP and run in at a lower RPM? Over 3-4 yrs, that delta should pay for itself.

To the OP, one suggestion would be to consider the following:

-Round up
-Weed barrier mesh
-Egg size river stones
-Landscape border timbers

I would recommend hitting the whole area w round up, later remove dead debris, spray again, then apply 2 layers of a weed barrier. Border your equipment pad 16"-20" w landscape timbers to enclose your equip/pad, then lay down a good 2+ inches of stones over the entire enclosed area...This would make servicing the area much easier, allow for better airflow around your pump and prevent any insects or other from hanging around this area...good luck !

poolman, what's your thought on increasing the size of the VSP and run in at a lower RPM? Over 3-4 yrs, that delta should pay for itself.

-Round up
-Weed barrier mesh
-Egg size river stones

I would recommend hitting the whole area w round up, later remove dead debris, spray again, then apply 2 layers of a weed barrier. Border your equipment pad 16"-20" w landscape timbers to enclose your equip/pad, then lay down a good 2+ inches of stones over the entire enclosed area...This would make servicing the area much easier, allow for better airflow around your pump and prevent any insects or other from hanging around this area...good luck !
Absolute best way to size a VSP - big horsepower, lower speed = best savings.
The purchase and installation of a VSP should include whatever programming is needed, in my opinion. In Florida, not sure what the common practice is, but still think it should be included in the price. That's the way I have always done it.
If a pool owner purchases a pump and has me install it, the install still includes programming. If they install it, there is a charge for the programming as that would be a service call.
SuperFlo pumps are not that difficult to program. Haywards even easier, which, if available, would be a better option, their longevity is as good as any now. There are many YouTube videos on all of them, and some of the manufacturer's websites will have links to programming videos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

-Round up
-Weed barrier mesh
-Egg size river stones

Thank you everyone for your inputs, much appreciated!
Also @tstex thanks for pointing out the obvious need for the above, much needed work around that area!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.