Variable speed, cost savings/ filtration?

Here is a link to a discussion that gets farily technical in the field of fluid dynamics though.

I agree with your first sentence, but not your second. It is going to take the same amount of horsepower to move the same flow through the same plumping system, no matter the rpm. Same horsepower, same electricity.

Well technically, not exactly but most think this is the case.
The impeller imparts a pressure to the water to move in the desired direction. How much water moves as a result of that pressure or additional energy is a function of "head"

Lets not hijack this thread into a technical discussion that few understand though. There are plenty of other threads where VS pump technical discussions are had. But in a wierd counterintuitive way, IMU, you are basically right about the larger VS pump.
It's the impeller that moves water.

Low speed pump is not only good for saving electricity bill. Low speed means a better filtering, and probably you could have a clearer water. The effectiveness of filtering depends on the flow-speed of water (and filter area). If you have too much speed it is like passing the car inside a car wash at 20 miles per hour. Even if you pass many times the car will be badly washed.

About VSP vs dual-speed, I dont find many advantages of Variable over Dual. I think probably dual-speed is enough for 90% of people: one low speed (tipical 1500 rpm 250-350W) for 80% of time and one high speed (tipical 3000 rpm (1 - 2 KW) for clear surface and maintenance tasks. But please. its only an opinion. I would like to hear different reasoning.

You can´t run VSP at speeds much less than 1.000 rpm in a pool. Very low speeds even can affect refrigeration of the motor.

About electrical consumtion for same flow rate, everyone is right. It has more to be with "efficiency" of pump (how many electricity watts for same phisical work), than size. Usually bigger pumps has better efficience (but not allways, depend on models, quality components, etc.). And there are performance curves depending on hydraulic conditions of the circuit... I.e. same pump can waste more or less depending on the dirt on the filter.

I am very surpised by the low cost of VSP you post. if you see comments in the page it is not "energy star", and they put another model (more cost), that probably has better "efficiency".

VSP are really a "Frequency Variator" and a basic "three-phase-motor fixed-speed pump" (you could even build one VSP just by buying this two components separately). So, taking into account the cost of these two components, low cost of pump you post make me be suspect about the quality of the pump component.

Well technically, not exactly but most think this is the case.
The impeller imparts a pressure to the water to move in the desired direction. How much water moves as a result of that pressure or additional energy is a function of "head"

Lets not hijack this thread into a technical discussion that few understand though. There are plenty of other threads where VS pump technical discussions are had. But in a wierd counterintuitive way, IMU, you are basically right about the larger VS pump.
Blind squirrel finds a nut. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a boat. While the motor can be the same HP, simply changing the pitch, and type of prop (stainless vs not), can allow the motor to push more water and make the boat go faster albeit at the cost of "hole shotness".

Reactions: Divin Dave
So let's talk about the 1.5hp vs 3hp, I'm actually interested in the theory, will the 3hp moving the same amount of water be more efficient? Why? I would think because it's overrated that it wouldn't be under as much of a load as the 1.5, therfore wouldn't draw so many amps.

But like others have said it depends if the impeller on both motors is the same or different. Usually they have 2" inlets and outlets on the 3hps, from what I've seen, and 1.5" inlet and outlet on the smaller motors.

Also there's the theory, like the SWCGs, if you have a larger motor/cell it'll work less than a smaller one will a full capacity, and theoretically last longer.

By the way, lol I've been finding dead moles in my pool, I'm really glad that I finally found something to get rid of them! Those little guys are hard to get out of your lawn.

A residential pool pump's overall efficiency is determined by two separate efficiencies; Motor efficiency and wet end efficiency.

For the wet end, the efficiency is related to the design of the impeller and volute. Basically it is the head curve shape that determines the efficiency of the wet end. The flatter the head curve, the more efficient the wet end. The diameter of the impeller determines the maximum head the pump can generate. A 1.5 HP pump impeller may have the same max head as a 3 HP impeller so they will produce the same maximum head. However, the 3 HP impeller will have wider vanes which produces a flatter head curve and is often referred to as a higher specific speed pump. Also, the 3 HP will have a higher run out flow rate and for most of the head curve on the right will generate higher flow rates.

For VS motors, the efficiency of the motor tends to decline a bit with RPM because there is a fixed energy use for the drive itself. So even at 0 RPM a VS motor would use between 50-100 watts of energy. In this case, a lower HP motor would need to run at higher RPM than a larger HP motor to deliver the same HHP and thus will have a slightly better motor efficiency than the higher HP motor. However, if the 3 HP motor has larger gauge windings, then it would probably end up being more efficient. But this difference in efficiency is far less than the wet end.

Now if you are comparing a VS motor with a two speed motor, there is no comparison. The efficiency differences are about 2:1.

The net result is that the 3 HP VS pump will tend to have a slightly better overall efficiency than the lower HP VS pump.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.