Valve actuator acting funny

topherchris

Jun 2, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I have an Intermatic PE24VA valve actuator attached to a valve for a water feature. I rarely turn it on, but a few weeks ago it stopped working altogether. I don't have any automation. The actuator is wired to normal appearing light switch on our patio. Previously, if I flipped the switch "on", the valve would turn and the water feature would start. When I flipped the switch "off", the water feature would stop. Now, I can only trigger the actuator with the manual switch on the bottom of the actuator itself and only when the light switch is in the "off" position. The valve motor turns both ways when I flip the switch back and forth on the actuator. When I flip the light switch to "on" I can no longer trigger the actuator manually with the switch on the bottom in either direction. Reading on the forum, it appears the microswitches often go bad. Would that explain this problem? Can I verify if the microswitches are bad before replacing them? They are on backorder, so I don't want to wait several weeks for replacements and then find out they were not broken. Thanks for your help!

Also, I'm curious about the light switch. I don't know much about circuitry, but it appears that the actuator has 2 circuits, one for each direction with a microswitch for each. To control it, power must flow through one of the circuits. Would a simple light switch accomplish this? I had always pictured them as either off or on, but can they be wired to turn 1 circuit on while in the "on" position and the other circuit while in the "off" position? Thanks again!

T,

The switch is probably a three way switch, which has two output contacts.. One for up and one for down.. Actuators work off of 24 VAC, so somewhere you must have a stepdown transformer..

Could be a bad microswitch, or a broken wire on the "on" output, or a bad "light" switch.

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

The microswitches usually are intermittent.. As soon as you open the unit up, it may just start to work. (For a while..)

You can manually test them with an Ohm meter.. Here is a simple diagram..

Basically the "switch" supplies power to only the left or right motor.. When the valve moves all the way to say the right side, the microswitch opens to stop the movement. If the microswitch is already open (bad) the actuator will not move. Moving the little toggle switch will move the power to the other motor and drive the actuator back.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.