Feb 3, 2020
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, all.

After years of paying a pool guy $100/mo my sister has asked me to take over (the maintenance, not the paying).
I've replaced the booster pump and the majority of the parts in her Pentair CC200 and everything still works so I got that going for me, which is good.
Bought a K-2006 test kit and have just used it for the first time. I'm actually doing everything for the first time - zero experience with pool maintenance.

The plan is to ditch the chlorine pucks and move to the TFPC method.

For the sake of brevity, it's a rectangular 8000 gallon IG pool, Sta-Rite P6E6D filter pump, Polaris PB4SQ booster pump, Polaris 280, and Pentair CC200. If my first tests are correct the CYA level is over 200.
For the sake of detail, I've been documenting my every move as I embark on this journey to learn enough to maintain this simple pool.

Notes and images from my first test with the K-2006 can be seen here.

I'm hoping to find out:
  • if I made any mistakes in my first test.
  • if my CYA readings are correct, what's the best way to deal with it.
    • The pool store has told my sister the CYA level is 100 and she should drain it 1 foot, refill and retest.
    • my first thought is to drain most of the pool and go from there (assuming CYA is actually over 200).

Apologies for the external links instead of posting images here. Figured I'd provide the bandwidth and storage. Please let me know if posting everything here is the preferred method and I'll be sure to go that route next time.

Thanks!
Mark

Reactions: bmoreswim
Welcome to TFP Mark. Posting everything here makes it easier for folks to review what you have without a lot of extra clicking to external sites.

I suggest you download PoolMath and use it for logging test results, calculating chemical dosages, and sharing your test log.

You need to drain or water exchange about 80-90% of your pool water to get CYA down around 30-40.

You can follow the No Drain Water Exchange Process to not risk an empty pool popping out of the ground.

What is the pH, TA and CH or the fill water you will be using?

Welcome to TFP Mark. Posting everything here makes it easier for folks to review what you have without a lot of extra clicking to external sites.

I suggest you download PoolMath and use it for logging test results, calculating chemical dosages, and sharing your test log.

You need to drain or water exchange about 80-90% of your pool water to get CYA down around 30-40.

You can follow the No Drain Water Exchange Process to not risk an empty pool popping out of the ground.

What is the pH, TA and CH or the fill water you will be using?
Thanks for the welcome!

I've been reading today about exchanging vs drain/refill. Didn't realize that was an option. Wondering how effective that would be with only a foot difference between deep and shallow ends. Unless I'm missing something, that has to be my first step, get that CYA under control.

I plan to get over there tomorrow to test the fill water and get some temps. Is some sort of infrared thermometer the thing to use for this? (I gotta have one anyway, now that I've seen it!)

I do have the Pool Math app and just recorded the initial results.

Yes, on the pool thermometer. Those are great!

How is your progress going?

Yes, on the pool thermometer. Those are great!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the thermometer! Can't wait for it to arrive.
How is your progress going?

Progress is good.
Using liquid chlorine now instead of pucks.
After replacing some of the water, the last 1:1 diluted CYA test came out at 140, down from 200+, so that's good. Wish I would've taken this over in January before they switched water service to metered from flat rate last month.
And the water's still clear, too!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.