Vacuuming with new sand filter pump

amandapanda

Jun 3, 2022
I Just received my new sand filter pump but sand will not arrive until tomorrow. I'm desperately needing to vacuum to waste because there's a lot of debris from an insufficient cartridge filter pump that the pool came with. My daughter is supposed to be having a pool party tomorrow for her 7th birthday. Is it okay if I set up the pump without sand just to vacuum to waste? I'm new to all of this but everything I've read leads me to believe it will be okay as long as I don't use any other setting without the sand but I would hate to mess up my new pump. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Is it okay if I set up the pump without sand just to vacuum to waste?
Vacuuming to WASTE basically bypasses the filter anyways - so yes. Go for it. Always be sure to turn the pump OFF before moving the multiport valve handle to any position. Once you are done vacuuming to WASTE, you can switch to RECIRCULATE which also bypasses the inside of the filter. That way you can at least keep water moving and mix chemicals. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.