Vacuum for Intex Above Ground Pool

I'm looking for the same thing something that will pick up the sand from my kids :/
Have an Intex AGP with the 1500Gph Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump (28635EG).

My only gripe I've ever had is with cleaning the bottom of the pool of dirt that blew in. The included vacuum you hook up to your hose is really more for getting bigger things like leaves, as the dirt just blows back through the mesh catcher and into the water, hopefully sucked up by the pump through the skimmer basket. not sure how efficient that actually is for the dirt on the bottom.

Anyone have any recommendations for a vacuum based on my pool and filter pump? Something that will actually capture the little granular stuff from the bottom rather than just spreading it around.

If the included vacuum is the one with the mesh drawstring bag on top that you hook to a garden hose, try putting a pair of panty hose or a knee hi stocking on the vacuum then put the mesh bag on and pull the drawstring tight. The pantyhose/knee hi mesh is much finer than the mesh bag and will trap more of the fine debris.

You could get a pool robot that operates independently of the pool pump system. I have an aquabot jr that works very well. Your other solution would be to upgrade your pump and filter system and use a manual vacuum or the intex pool cleaner.

I was looking at those, they are nice. I think they're a little too fancy and therefore pricey for me though.
Wish I would have thought about this topic a few weeks ago, I just had to replace my pump and bought the same one out of fear that a different one wouldn't hook up just right and i'd have problems. Even if it's a manual vacuum type I woudln't mind, but maybe all I need are some pantyhose (never thought I'd say that in my life!!! ha)

This is the one I have as well... Is there a way to vacuum out quickly? I noticed that my water level rose so much my pump was over flowing :/
If the included vacuum is the one with the mesh drawstring bag on top that you hook to a garden hose, try putting a pair of panty hose or a knee hi stocking on the vacuum then put the mesh bag on and pull the drawstring tight. The pantyhose/knee hi mesh is much finer than the mesh bag and will trap more of the fine debris.

I'm looking into that vacuum too but it's way to pricey for me to ship from amazon. I'd be paying like 250 or more. Right now i'm using the Pool Blaster Max Vacuum works well actually dont have any complaints but wish i had something that did the vacuuming itself lol ya i'm lazy.

Fastest CHEAP way to handle this: swirl your water into a whirlpool, let it settle and the sand will be right in the middle. Get your garden hose or even a vacuum hose, start a siphon and just do the center of the pool. It shouldn't dump much water (especially if you do this with a garden hose) but it will get the fine dirt out of the pool for free. This is all easiest if you work from inside the pool but it can be done with a pole from outside as well.

I was hoping to stay out of the triple digits on a solution here, but still want something that works. I'm right there with you Joe, I'd love to have it do it for me, but I think the price outweighs my level of allowed laziness haha.
Never thought of the siphon thing, that sounds like it would work too. Pretty creative ideas on here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run in circles whe; I get in if pump has been off awhile, so I can scoop up anything that settles.

Honestl, before I had the auto cleaner, I had a vacuum that was worthless. I had better results using a fine net skimmer (so fine it would catch sand) and doing the run in circles thing.

Yeah, I wonder if for now I'm just better off trying the hacks of knee high/pantyhose over the mesh bag on my existing "vacuum" thing that came with it that attaches to the hose, then maybe trying the hairnet in the skimmer.

For the hairnet trick though, where exactly do you put it? My Intex skimmer is like 3 parts, the big plastic part that hooks up to the hose, then instead that is the basket, then the blue thing that floats you put over the basket.

For the skimmer, put the hairnet in the basket, elastic over the edge and around the rim. It will float, so find a rock that is bigger around than the hose, but still allows water flow.

You will be amazed at how much stuff you catch, using finer nets on skimmer and vacuum!

I use these hairnets - so cheap you can just toss them out and put a new one on. They were only $7 when I bought them, but at the current price they are still a great deal.

They rock! We mowed the other day and I had just changed the hairnet. Usually I change once a week. Just for kicks I checked after mowing done, and it was absolutely full of very fine dust that I barely even saw floating on surface of water.

Great for pollen too!

For the skimmer, put the hairnet in the basket, elastic over the edge and around the rim. It will float, so find a rock that is bigger around than the hose, but still allows water flow.

You will be amazed at how much stuff you catch, using finer nets on skimmer and vacuum!

I use these hairnets - so cheap you can just toss them out and put a new one on. They were only $7 when I bought them, but at the current price they are still a great deal.

omg i'm gonna try that too!!! so much pollen in the air i wonder how much it will catch

So going to attempt to do the pantyhose/knee-hi trick today, but I have a stupid question. Will any old pantyhose/knee-hi from the store work, or do i need a particular "type" so it actually catches the finer dirt/sand particles?

omg i'm gonna try that too!!! so much pollen in the air i wonder how much it will catch

Be aware they can catch so much stuff they will clog and cause your pump to work pretty hard - change often when there is a lot of gunk flying around. This spring there were a couple of times I couldn't even pull my basket out without shutting the pump off first! I was afraid I was going to break the handle off. :eek:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.