Vacuum accident by idiot

Winterhater

Silver Supporter
Mar 27, 2022
Minnesota
I seem to be the problem child around here mostly because I know nothing. I tried vacuuming my pool this afternoon and the vacuum head came loose and the hose ended up out of the pool and sucked in some air. I turned off my pump right away, but lost prime. I have a sand filter, chlorine pool, pentaire variable pump. After some effort and air bubbles in the pump I was able to get the pump back online. However, my kids were swimming etc so after awhile I turned the pump off. It lost prime again so I went back to prime again. The pump was getting a lot of air before it finally primed. I think the weir was stuck so I had run over to the skimmer to look at it and it was sucking water like a toilet bowl. It did fill and seems fine . My question is do you think I still have air in the system after this happened causing my pump to get too hot? I am not getting air bubbles in the returns and skimmers seem to be functioning, no air bubbles in the pump. I just don’t want to run my pump if anyone thinks there is a chance if air in the system and could burn out the pump. Ugh

I seem to be the problem child around here mostly because I know nothing. I tried vacuuming my pool this afternoon and the vacuum head came loose and the hose ended up out of the pool and sucked in some air. I turned off my pump right away, but lost prime. I have a sand filter, chlorine pool, pentaire variable pump. After some effort and air bubbles in the pump I was able to get the pump back online. However, my kids were swimming etc so after awhile I turned the pump off. It lost prime again so I went back to prime again. The pump was getting a lot of air before it finally primed. I think the weir was stuck so I had run over to the skimmer to look at it and it was sucking water like a toilet bowl. It did fill and seems fine . My question is do you think I still have air in the system after this happened causing my pump to get too hot? I am not getting air bubbles in the returns and skimmers seem to be functioning, no air bubbles in the pump. I just don’t want to run my pump if anyone thinks there is a chance if air in the system and could burn out the pump. Ugh
Probably just had air stuck in the lines. Shouldn’t hurt anything.

2 quick comments: I always re-fill the pump filter with water if I've had the pump off for more than a few minutes.

Also if your skimmer was sucking like a toilet bowl, either yes your weir was stuck, or the water level in the pool was too low.

Welcome to your pool adventure!

Reactions: Winterhater
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.