Vacation rental pool/spa question

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
So we had to pay $30 a day to have our pool heater run at a vacation rental and I am a bit irritated right now. It is a heat pump unit. And I’m pretty sure it does not cost that much to run per day.

Anyway, the real question is this. It is a spa that spills over into the pool. However, the spa is the same temp as the pool. They are trying to tell me that this is normal and it isn’t a hot tub. Isn’t there a way to change the valves so the spa is self contained and heats up to hot tub temperatures?

Absolutely. Heat pumps are not good for spas. They are OK for pools. They keep water at a certain temperature. They do not heat water quickly.

The two automated valves should turn in SPA mode so the the spa jets are open and the spa return is open.

Can you change the mode via the automation?

I have no control over the valves. Those are automated? Can they be moved manually? I just want to be able to tell the property managers that they are full of it.
So spa jets and spa return should be open? That would allow for the spa to heat up to a higher temp than the pool?

Last edited by a moderator:
So on the two valves that have actuators. With the pump off, move the toggle switches to the opposite position they are now. The valves should move 180 degrees. That will set them for spa only. Be sure to move them back after using the spa.

I have to get off line for awhile. If the valves moved the 180 degrees, you should be able to turn on the pump and heater and it will heat the spa somewhat quicker.

If they do not move, then the owner has the power to the valves disconnected in the automation system. There is an automation system as you have actuated valves.

You caught me!

The valve were it says Spa Jets, by moving the off on the valve handle to the other direction closed the pool and spa returns and directed all the water to the spa jets. The other actuated valve had the spa suction turned off so by moving it you opened the spa suction and closed the pool suction (skimmer, main drain).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want to move them back when done with the spa. That way the pool system (both pool and spa) are chlorinated with the tab feeder they have.

The property manager will not know you turned the valves unless you break something.

In general, property managers are clueless about pool systems.

Reactions: jtpipkin
So there is a timer switch for the spa that when turned on actually moves the jet actuator automatically. The other actuator did not move. It had a toggle switch in it that was off. When I turned that on it rotates 180 degrees like you said to do!

I have rented enough places to be convinced they have no clue.

I have bought a test kit, tested the pool and spa, and called the manager saying it had no CL and pH was too high. Was told they had weekly pool service. I insisted they get them over. It was clear to me with no one in the house the pool service was skipping the place. I have many stories about rental pools and have not found a manager yet who knew what was going on.

The problem w vacation rentals is you always have to pay everything up front so you have NO leverage. Try telling a PB to fix something they disagree on if you have already paid everything up front? No cigar.

There is no way I am going to pay any surcharges on top of already premium rental payments. The best way to handle this is to ask all the questions up front and obtain in writing. If there is something you have any issue w before renting, find another place and problem solved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.