Vacation Immediately after Closing!

domgbrown

Jun 22, 2019
Houston, TX
First if all, this site is a godsend. After spending hours confusing myself, I found this site, and read every article, and I feel confident I can maintain the pool I'm about to purchase along with the house. It appears to be a plaster pool, but I don't know anything else about it yet.

Here's my issue: I'm closing on my home next week (6/28), and going on vacation with my family two days later. We'll be gone for two weeks!! The current homeowner maintains his own pool and is leaving behind his maintenance supplies. Hopefully, he has a test kit to measure the CYA, but absent that, my plan is this:

If the pool is clear, I can assume the FC he is maintaining is at a sufficient level relative to the CYA. If I can find somebody to add 5ppm per day of FC, I should be good until I get back and can test everything and get all my numbers in line.

Two questions:
1. Does that approach seem reasonable?
2. Can I increase the level before I leave by 5 ppm, and have my buddy add 10 ppm every other day?

Thanks for any guidance, and I'll update my signature once I understand exactly what type of pool I have.

I would really doubt the previous owner will leave a test kit like the ones recommended here. 99% of owners just dump in what pool stores tell them to.

I’d recommend buying a kit now. Ideally you can test CYA and current FC before you go. Otherwise, I’d probably recommend more like 2-3ppm FC per day while you’re gone if it’s clear. That’s all that usually burns up in the sun if there are no other issues. Would hate for you to come back to a bleached liner or some such thing.

Others who have been here longer can validate or correct my advice. :)

I agree that getting a kit now will let you make some informed decisions.
Also fill out your signature as well as you can. Pool type may dictate some guidance.

Ok, I'll purchase the kit now. I was thinking it would be closer to 4ppm FC consumed per day since it's in the middle of the humid Houston summer.

Regarding pool type, I'm not exactly sure other than what I can see from pictures and when I saw the home before purchasing. Once I know, I will definitely update.

Reactions: IceShadow
Probably. When you get your test kit and run a full set of tests, you can form a game plan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.