Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm currently having my pool built, and am doing lots of reading on the TFP method in preparation for maintaining it.
I now have a TF-100 test kit, and measured my tap water last night as a baseline.

Being colorblind, I can tell this is going to be difficult. Even just seeing the red/pink color change to clear, isn't obvious for me. I had to ask my 13 year old daughter to tell when when the water cleared as I dropped.

I've seen some discussions on Colorimeters, but consensus seems to be they aren't as accurate as the drop kits; especially for CYA.

So are there any other methods to test the FC, CC, CYA, etc ... without having to identify color range or change? Anyone else who is colorblind have any tips for me?

For pH, I got a digital pH meter from TFTestkits ... so I think I should be good there (so long as I keep it calibrated).

The CYA test is not color dependent so you are good there. The FC / CC test will be a problem. My only suggestion is to make this a family event and let your daughter help with the color change. My grandkids are that age and they think its fun to help me with the testing.

Hi Stoppalini,

I am color blind as well and do need some help from my wife and kids. The PH test is the most difficult to do for me on my own. The FC/CC test I can do on my own. For the TA test, I can do it but I needed the fam to double check for me. The CYA test is a breeze :)

I did a lot of research to find some product/tool that would test the water and just provide a number to me. They all seemed to have varying levels of accuracy. The digital PH kit you mentioned is recommended but I passed as it seems like more work than help to maintain.

In the end, I have been using the TF-100 for just about a month now, along with help from the Pros here and my family, and the pool is clear and levels are great.

Sorry that I was not too helpfull, just wanted to provide feedback on my experience with the testing as a fellow colorblind-er.

Good luck with everything!

I'm currently having my pool built, and am doing lots of reading on the TFP method in preparation for maintaining it.
I now have a TF-100 test kit, and measured my tap water last night as a baseline.

Being colorblind, I can tell this is going to be difficult. Even just seeing the red/pink color change to clear, isn't obvious for me. I had to ask my 13 year old daughter to tell when when the water cleared as I dropped.

I've seen some discussions on Colorimeters, but consensus seems to be they aren't as accurate as the drop kits; especially for CYA.

So are there any other methods to test the FC, CC, CYA, etc ... without having to identify color range or change? Anyone else who is colorblind have any tips for me?

For pH, I got a digital pH meter from TFTestkits ... so I think I should be good there (so long as I keep it calibrated).

I've heard some color blind people use the LaMotte ColorQ.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

I do have a pair of Enchroma glasses ... I wonder if they'll let me see the color change?
I should have thought to try them last night. I'll try again later today and see if they work for this.

I do have a pair of Enchroma glasses ... I wonder if they'll let me see the color change?

The color change for FC/CC is from red to clear, which I find very easy re: its got some color or no color. The TA test is difficult as it goes from Green to Red which are very hard for me to differentiate.

I was very worried about this testing being colorblind but its turned out being a breeze...with a little help here and there to double check what I believed were the results.

@Stoopalini , I am severely colorblind as well, I know that the Taylor kits are great and I do own one, but for me the game changer was being offered a photometer.

I currently use the Pool eXact and its been a game changer for me personally - not having to bother the wife to help me determine shades of various colors. The chemical strips that the meter uses are priced really well too

Link to my model below:

The color change for FC/CC is from red to clear, which I find very easy re: its got some color or no color. The TA test is difficult as it goes from Green to Red which are very hard for me to differentiate.

I was very worried about this testing being colorblind but its turned out being a breeze...with a little help here and there to double check what I believed were the results.

When I did the tests last night, I thought it was clear several times, but my daughter kept telling me "it's still pink" ... So I'm concerned I won't be getting accurate results, and with these tests being 0.5 per drop, just a few drops could be off by several ppm. Maybe that's not a big deal though?

@Stoopalini , I am severely colorblind as well, I know that the Taylor kits are great and I do own one, but for me the game changer was being offered a photometer.

I currently use the Pool eXact and its been a game changer for me personally - not having to bother the wife to help me determine shades of various colors. The chemical strips that the meter uses are priced really well too

Link to my model below:

Interesting, thanks ... I'll check it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting ... I just installed it on my iPhone SE (2020 version with the great camera), and it's not working well at all. It says almost everything is light orange. even my black speakers. Maybe it's not compatible with the 2020 SE?
Not sure. I just found it on a search and thought it seemed interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.