Using SWG with Bromine as primary sanitizer in spa

Nov 15, 2016
portland
Greetings,

We have a Marquis Euphoria MTS series spa that holds about 420 gallons, with a constant clean filtration system that has two filter housings, one serving just the 24 hr circulation pump circuit. I recently installed an in-line Haywood Aquatrol SWG on the tail-end of the circulation pump/heater circuit. The SWG is ridiculously overrated relative to the size of the tub, but my thinking is that the SWG will be able to sanitize the pool with minimal run-time, thereby saving wear on the cell. In fact, using Chlorine alone, I can run the cell timer a total of around 90 mins per day (6x @15 mins) at 5% (the lowest output settings) and still maintain 2-3 FC. I've experimented a bit with the settings and this seems to be about as low as I can go in terms of run-time and output and still maintain sufficient FC when entering the water in the evening.

My wife can't stand any chlorine smell, chloramines, in the tub, or she simply won't use it. I was hoping that the SWG system would enable me to reduce the total amount of chlorination to the point where a chlorine smell would be essentially undetectable. No luck. Even at the lowest safe setting, and running the SWG in the early morning hours, we are still hit with a blast of chlorine as soon as we lift the cover. I've super-chlorinated the tub with liquid bleach, but it doesn't really seem to diminish the chlorine smell for long.

Recently I decided to try converting the tub to use bromine as the primary sanitizer. To do so, I simply added about 2 ounces of granular sodium bromide. It's my hope that I can use the SWG's chlorine output to oxidize the bromine into hydrobromous acid during sanitizing cycles, and thereby avoid the production of chloramines. I'm still experimenting at this point with run-time on the SWG to make this happen. At the moment, it appears that the new spa chemistry is actually going to require more SWG run-time to bring FB up to a safe level.

Any thoughts and advice, especially from anyone who has tried this approach before, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.