Using stabilized chlorine to shock pool

guddylover

Jan 25, 2020
Toronto
I have a 14x34 fiberglass pool- it is about 15k gallons. My question is this: can I use stabilized chlorine in the effort to boost my cyanuric acid at the start of the season? My cyanuric acid is almost zero everytime I open the pool for summer. I currently just use liquid chlorine to shock and then manually add stabilizer to bring the CYA up. Thanks.

You can use whatever you want, as long as you understand what's in it and what effect it will have on your pool. Personally, I have used dichlor several times this year to boost CYA, since I had it left over from pre-TFP days. I also keep a supply of Cal-hypo, which I use judiciously while paying attention to my CH level.

Also be aware that raising your CYA with pucks especially, and also shock, to a lesser extent, can be a slow process. If you're only 10 ppm low, no problem, but if you're at 0 and you need 30, it's best to just add the stabilizer and get it done quicker so you can move on to the regular maintenance. With pucks, it's really slow because you have to wait for them to fully dissolve for the total cya to increase. Shock works much quicker cause it dissolves fast.

What I was talking about was granular, quick dissolving shock, not pucks. Not all that slow of a process, but you can, of course get faster results with LC and actual stabilizer. Just depends on what you have or what's available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.