Using Pool Math

Hi, I am very new here so my questions will be quite basic to start with.

I have downloaded Pool Math and am trying to input the the latest results I received from the pool company which installed my vinyl pool two years ago. However, the numbers, specifically the target amounts, do not come close to some of the ranges suggested in the App. The results I receive are in parts per million but the ranges for items such as Free Chlorine, Total Alkalinity and CYA are either well above or well below the targets shown in the App.

I have a test kit on order, so perhaps it is a matter of waiting for it to arrive before trying to use the App. If there is some other reason the ranges are so diverse I would appreciate hearing about it.

To clarity the differences I am seeing I will show the suggested ranges from my source in the left hand column and those shown in the App on the right.

My Source for Ranges Pool Math's Range
Free Chlorine 1 - 3 ppm 10.0 - 16.0
Total Alkalinity 80 - 180 ppm 50 - 90
CYA 30 - 100 30 - 50

Any help would be appreciated.

I entered the pool math app and setup a vinyl pool and see different recommended numbers than what you posted
- particularly for chlorine: I see a recommendation of 1-3 ppm, matching the range of your other source. 10-16ppm FC would be some kind of shock level
regarding TA, the range is just narrower, and over 110 would be very unusual in my location - a saturation index check will help, once you know your calcium hardness
regarding CYA, reducing the upper limit to 50 allows chlorine to be a more effective sanitizer, while still protecting against chlorine loss in the sun
pay attention to pH also, around 7.4 - 7.5 is a good number to target

FC ranges vary based on CYA level you entered.

TA is 50+. No real high side. TA and pH work together.

Enable CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool though with a vinyl pool, unless you have very high CH fill water, you do not need to concern yourself with CSI.

I see you attempt to use ORP sensors. We have found those not be very conducive to outdoor pools.

Good luck.

Hi - Marty, not sure if you are addressing me or original poster. We use ORP as an informational tool, and to send alarms to the monitoring staff. The PPM sensors which control chlorine dispensing are quite expensive to maintain and sensitive to flow rate. In a semi commercial setting, without automation, 4 daily tests are required. With automation, only once per day is required.

I entered the pool math app and setup a vinyl pool and see different recommended numbers than what you posted
- particularly for chlorine: I see a recommendation of 1-3 ppm, matching the range of your other source. 10-16ppm FC would be some kind of shock level
regarding TA, the range is just narrower, and over 110 would be very unusual in my location - a saturation index check will help, once you know your calcium hardness
regarding CYA, reducing the upper limit to 50 allows chlorine to be a more effective sanitizer, while still protecting against chlorine loss in the sun
pay attention to pH also, around 7.4 - 7.5 is a good number to target

Thanks for responding and my apologies for not replying sooner. I think that part of my problem is that I am not familiar enough with the Pool Math app yet and am getting confused because I do not yet have my own test kit. I will wait for it to arrive and try this all again. I can tell you that my CYA was huge - 130. I dumped a few thousand liters and it dropped to 106. I dumped a bunch more yesterday and am refilling the pool now. Hopefully the reading will be below 80 tomorrow. This issue with the CYA is what drove me to look for alternatives to the chlorine pucks I have been using which have to be the source of the CYA. I have purchased a bunch of bleach but without the test kit, which is not likely to arrive for another week or two, I don't feel comfortable putting it in the pool for fear I either over or under chlorinate the water.

I will muddle along until everything is in place and hopefully will be able to stop using the pucks at that point.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.