Using Liquid Chlorine and pH

Oct 10, 2018
Fresno CA
Ok, I have a general question which I hope you can help me with. I have been using liquid chlorine 12.5% in my pool. As expected, the pH rises. pH is reading at about 7.8 before adding chlorine and rises to about 8.0 after addition of chlorine. My question is should I adjust the pH at this time with muriatic acid or should I wait, and if so how long, to make the adjustment. I understand the pH increase is temporary and will decrease as the chlorine is used up. Also, is it okay for the pH to be at 8.0 temporarily? I have been adjusting after a couple of hours and by next morning it is alittle lower than I would like. Todays readings:
pH 7.8
FAC 7
CYA 60
TA 60
CH 230

Merged threads. TFP Mod.
I am wondering if what I am doing is right. Everyday I am adding around 4 cups liquid chlorine to raise the level to around 6.5. The pH initally reads at 7.75. After 3 hours, the pH is only at 7.9 and never goes back to the original reading. I am adding around 4.5 oz acid daily to bring it back down to 7.75. I understand that the rise in pH is only temporary until the chlorine is used up. My questions are: Why is it not returning back to pH 7.75 without the addition of acid on a daily basis? Also, is it okay to be adding acid daily? I have been checking my TA every 5 days and it stays steady at 60.
Todays readings before any additions:
FAC = 4.5
pH = 7.75
Temp 83 degrees F
CYA = 50
TA = 60
CH - 240
After adding 4 cups liquid chlorine 12.5%
FAC = 6.5
pH = 8.
Could all of this be due to keeping a lower TA? Isn't a lower TA better than a higher TA?

As Jason said, only lower pH when it reaches 8 when you test. Do not test pH right after adding liquid chlorine.

Reposting this thread. I am adding 4 cups of 12.5% iquid chlorine daily. Th pH , I feel is rising too much, from 7.75 to 8.0 and never returns back to 7.75 or even close. It drops back to around 7.9 three hous later and never lower. I adjust daily by adding 4.5 oz muriatic acid daily to bring back down to pH 7.75 TA is staying at 60 with this process. Is this due to my TA being at 60? What is going on. The rise in pH is too much and doesnt appear to be temporary.
Readings before adding chlorine:
pH 7.75
FAC 4.5
TA 60
CYA 50
CH 240
Temp 82 degrees F
After adding 4 cups liquid chlorine: According to Pool math, my FAC should be 4.5 min. and target 5-7
FAC 6.5
pH 8.0

The chlorine does not raise your pH day to day. That is most likely your fill water. What is the pH and TA of your fill water.

What are you measuring your pH with that you can say it is 7.75?

I think you are giving a precision and repeatability to the pH drop test that doesn’t exist.

Reactions: Donldson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How old is your pool?

Do you have a spill over spa, water fall or other water feature?

pH naturally rises in most pools, but it rises faster with new curing plaster (figure a year to 18 months) and pools with active water features.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.